Delhi gangrape victim scored well in last exam; was friendly and popular: college

Last Updated: Thu, Jan 24, 2013 11:56 hrs

Dehradun: The institute where the 23-year-old medical student, who was brutally gang-raped in a moving bus in Delhi, was studying physiotherapy has disclosed that the braveheart was a "good scholar" and secured first division marks in her last exam, better than most of her classmates.

"The girl was enrolled for the four-year physiotherapy course here in 2008 and she secured a first division with 73 per cent marks in the last exam of her life," the Dean of the institute said.

"She got better marks than most of her classmates as the average is around 55 to 65 per cent," he added.

She got 800 out of 1,100 marks in six papers in tests conducted last year, the Dean said, adding that it was after this examination that she had left for Delhi late last year to do the internship at a Delhi hospital.

The victim and her male friend boarded a bus in Delhi on December 16 and were  assaulted allegedly by six men, who also took turns raping the student, says the police. She died two weeks later.

"The institute administration has decided to refund Rs. 1.80 lakh deposited by her at the time of her admission here in 2008," the Dean said.

He also said he would personally go to Delhi at the earliest to hand over a cheque of the amount to Amanat's parent.

Showering praise on the girl for her positive nature, the ability to make friends easily and motivate other students, the Dean said it has also been decided to institute an award in her name.

Gangrape trial begins today

Meanwhile, the trial of five men charged with the gang rape and murderbegan in a closed courtroom on Thursday with opening arguments by the prosecution lawyers in a special fast-track court set up just weeks ago to handle sexual assault cases.

The five men on trial — who face a maximum sentence of death by hanging if convicted — covered their faces with woolen caps as they walked into the courtroom Thursday surrounded by a phalanx of armed police. Two hours later, after proceedings were over, they were whisked away by the police. A sixth suspect in the case has claimed he is a juvenile and is expected to be tried in a juvenile court.

Details of the day's proceedings were not available. The courtroom was closed to the public and the media even though defense lawyers had argued that since the victim is dead, the proceedings should be opened. There was also a gag order on the lawyers to not reveal what happened inside the court.

Judge Yogesh Khanna turned down requests by journalists Thursday that they be briefed on the day's proceedings and said the gag order would remain.

The next hearing in the case was set for Monday, when the defense will present its opening arguments.

After the hearing, M.L. Sharma, a defense lawyer for Mukesh Singh, one of the accused, said he had withdrawn from the case. V.K. Anand, who represents Mukesh's brother Ram Singh, will now defend both brothers. The two lawyers had been arguing over who was Mukesh Singh's real lawyer.

Sharma said he left the case to save his client from being tortured to fire him. He has long maintained that the other defense lawyers were planted by the police to ensure guilty verdicts.

Dozens of police were outside the court complex. Inside the court, about 30 policemen blocked access to the room where Khanna heard the prosecution's case.

Outside the courtroom scores of journalists and curious onlookers crowded the hallway.

Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan warned defense lawyers that if they spoke to journalists he would slap contempt of court notices on them, said V.K. Anand, a defense lawyer.

More from Sify: