​Delhi minor rape victim alert and stable, say doctors; protests swell

Last Updated: Sat, Apr 20, 2013 08:14 hrs

New Delhi: A medical bulletin released by AIIMS on Saturday said the rape victim is conscious, alert and stable. Speaking to the press AIIMS spokesman said the girl will require corrective surgery in her private parts. Detailed examination of the five year old was done by a team of eight doctors, he added.

Health minister Ghulam Nabi Azad reportedly met the family of the girl at AIIMS on Saturday.

The accused in rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi was arrested from Muzaffarpur in Bihar on Friday night, according to reports. He is now being brought to Delhi on transit remand.

A team of Delhi Police, with help from local police, arrested Manoj Kumar, 25 from Chiknauta village under Karza police station in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from Muzaffarpur, early Saturday, a district police official said.

"After he was arrested, Manoj Kumar was produced in the court of the chief judicial magistrate in Muzaffarpur and the court granted a three-day transit remand to Delhi Police," the official said. 

In the meanwhile, protests erupted at AIIMS and Police Headquarters on Saturday morning demanding justice for the victim and punishment to policemen who allegedly did not help locate the girl who went missing on April 15.

Activists belonging to Aam Aadmi Party protested outside Delhi Police Headquarters alleging police apathy in the case while others staged a demonstration outside AIIMS Hospital in solidarity with the girl.

The five-year-old girl who was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by a neighbour while being held captive and starved for two days is battling for life after she contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.

The victim is being treated at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and is stable and conscious but doctors said that the next 48 hours will be crucial for her.

As the incident sparked an outcry in the national capital, which saw massive protests over the gangrape of a paramedical student barely four months ago, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said he was "deeply disturbed" with the brutality committed on the child and asked the society to work to root out the evil.

Adding to the outrage, the cops allegedly offered the victim's family Rs. 2,000 to hush up the case and made insensitive remarks while assistant commissioner of police B S Ahlwat slapped a girl protester at least four times which left her bleeding in an ear.

As the PM expressed anger over the treatment meted out to the protesters, Delhi Police on Friday night suspended the ACP. Two other officials faced similar action on the charge of trying to hush up the case even as an inquiry was ordered.

The horrific incident took place in east Delhi's Gandhi Nagar. The girl, who was missing from April 15 evening, was rescued on April 17 from the ground floor of the building where her family was staying.

The 25-year-old neighbour, from whose clutches the girl was rescued, fled from the spot.

More from Sify: