Delhi rape 5th suspect held, stir spreads

Last Updated: Fri, Dec 21, 2012 18:37 hrs

The fifth accused in the horrific Delhi gangrape was arrested by the police even as anger against the brutal attack continues to rage across the national capital and beyond with students and civil society groups on Friday taking their protest at the doorstep of the President of India.

The fifth suspect was caught from Badayun in western Uttar Pradesh and brought to Delhi. Earlier reports said two men were arrested but later it was clarified that one accused is still absconding.

Protesters, women and students, on Friday took their stir before the Rashtrapati Bhavan as they screamed "We Want Justice" and held placards.

Police stopped them from entering inside but the stir continues even as politicians promise stringent laws and their implementation.

Delhi Police have to present a status report on their action in the case before the Delhi High Court on Friday after the court on Wednesday demanded a progress report on the probe within 48 hours.

Four of the other accused, including prime suspect Ram Singh, who was the driver of the bus on which the incident occurred, were arrested earlier.

Three of the arrested accused - Mukesh Singh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma - have confessed to their crime in a Delhi court on Wednesday. Ram Singh was sent to police custody for five days before that and he refused to appear before victim for an identification parade.

The court remanded Vinay and Pawan to four-day police custody while Mukesh was sent to 14-day judicial custody.

Confessing his crime, Pawan told the court that he should be hanged.

Another suspect Vinay said he had hit the boy but not the girl.

Meanwhile, doctors of Safdarjung Hospital on Thursday said the brutalized girl was stable and withstood operations showing immense fighting spirit and mental alertness, though she remained critical.

"Last night was uneventful and in the morning the girl continues to be in a stable condition. Her vital parametres like blood pressure, respiratory rate, urine output are within acceptable limits and she is making an attempt to breathe on her own," said Dr BD Ashthani, the Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital.

The doctor, who said she is not out of danger yet, will put her on TPN ( total parenteral nutrition) because of her intestinal loss.

"She has to come out of this acute crisis. If she passes this acute stage we can talk about survival," said Dr Ashthani.

Meanwhile, protests swept India as people from all walks of life took to streets expressing their angst following the gang rape and brutalization of the medical student on a bus in Delhi on Sunday night, even as administrators sought to pacify the outrage with talk of action. The girl´s male companion was also hit with a rod but his injury was not so serious and police based their case on his statement of the horrific night.

Hundreds continue to gather at India Gate in Delhi every evening with banners and placards, holding candlelight vigils and performing street plays.

More from Sify: