Delhi rape case: Two senior police officers suspended on grounds of negligence

Last Updated: Mon, Dec 24, 2012 13:24 hrs

New Delhi: Attempting to meet the growing demand for speedy justice for the 23-year-old gang-rape victim, Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna on Monday informed that two senior police officers have been suspended on grounds of negligence.

"ACP Traffic and ACP PCR have been suspended. Police on duty failed to stop the bus with dark tinted glass. The DCP Traffic and DCP PCR have been asked to explain," he told mediapersons here.

"I will review the security of the city every three months," he added, while listing out the measures taken to ensure that the security of women is enhanced.

He further said that action would be taken against cops who don't register cases, and added that Special Commissioner Sudhir Yadav will be available on his mobile 24x7.

"If there is even one instance that any police personnel has not treated a woman with respect (language/ disposition/ etc) on receiving a complaint, we will take prompt action. Police personnel will also be trained," said Khanna.

"Zero tolerance on misbehaviour or misdemeanour. Keep some volunteers from women's groups along with plain clothes police men on buses - this is a suggestion which has been given to us by women's groups," he added.

The Lieutenant Governor had a nearly two and a half-hour long meeting with representatives of several women organisations where he listened to their grievances.

Khanna further said that public transport drivers will henceforth wear photo ID badges.

He also informed that he would be meeting representatives of various student organisations.

"I am meeting students' groups today. They have an open invitation from my side," he said.

Khanna said if excessive force was used during the protests, the enquiry is on.

Delhi Police, which reports to the Lieutenant Governor, has come under sharp criticism over the crackdown on scores of supporters and mediapersons gathered at the India Gate here last evening. Unprecedented public fury was witnessed at the India Gate where the protestors broke barricades and pelted stones at the police personnel, who in turn resported to baton-charge and used tear gas and water canons to disperse the crowd from the venue of the protest.

Khanna, who was away in the United States, also played down reports that he was asked to return immediately to the national capital, cutting his week-long holiday there short.

"Would like to clarify one thing... I had taken the president's permission to meet my daughter in the U.S. I was not ordered to come back," he said emphatically.

More from Sify: