Web Sify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Delhi rape: Court directs in-camera hearing

Source : IBNS
Last Updated: Mon, Jan 07, 2013 18:34 hrs
Delhi rape: Court directs in-camera hearing

Five of the six accused in the Delhi gangrape case on Monday were produced in a court of Metropolitan Magistrate at Saket in New Delhi. The magistrate ordered in-camera proceedings in the case amid chaos.

Restraining the media from reporting and publishing proceedings of the case in the court without permission, Metropolitan Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal said: "An unprecedented situation arises when members of bar and public persons not connected with the case also have started converging the courtroom No 207 where the present matter is going on since 12 noon."



"The courtroom has become jampacked with lots of disturbance created from different nooks and corners," Aggarwal said.

The Metropolitan Magistrate said: "It has become impossible to proceed in the case. I am passing order for in-camera proceeding. It shall not be lawful to print and publish any article in media without court permission."

Amid heavy security, the five accused were brought to the court complex on Monday. They were kept in a prison cell present in the court premises.

The accused were produced after Aggarwal directed those not directly connected to the case to leave the court room, reports said.

The accused were given copies of the police´s chargesheet.

The next hearing in the case will take place on Thursday.

The case has not been transferred to the fast-track court so far.

The court witnessed high drama on Monday when two advocates reportedly said they were eager to defend the accused.

Members of the Saket Bar Association created chaos over the issue. The members of Saket Bar Association had earlier refused to defend the accused in case.

Pertinently, in addition to rape and murder, the accused have been charged with destruction of evidence, criminal conspiracy, kidnapping and dacoity.

The six accused, who is reportedly a minor till now but has come across as the most brutal assaulter in the group, was directed to appear at a juvenile court next week, media reports said.

The juvenile justice magistrate on Monday posted the case for Jan 15 and asked the school principal of the minor to produce more documents in connection to his age.

According to reports, the principal shared documents on the accused with a juvenile court on Monday.

The juvenile justice magistrate, however, was not satisfied with the documents presented by the principal.

On Dec 16, the six raped and brutalised a 23-year-old medical student with an iron rod on a moving bus. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.

The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of rape and brutalization of women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.

More from Sify:
blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news