IIT Kanpur (1969-1974)
1. Simplify/Reduce Taxes : India has too many taxes at Central/State/Local levels and tax laws are often contradictory, confusing and many times applied retrospectively. There is too much power vested at all levels to impose taxes.
There is no accountability and consequences for government officers to send demand notices for the sole purpose of harassment and collecting money under the table. Only 5 taxes which should exist are:
Customs Duty , Uniform GST, Income Tax, Property Tax, Road Tax
All other so called "cesses" should be done away with along with all stamp papers/revenue stamps.
2. Re-focus on population control by raising awareness of the problem, educating and enacting policies to discourage more than 2 children per mother (yes mother!)
3. Hold Police accountable for upholding rule of law at any cost and punish them at the highest level if they fail. Implement IT in the Police Department to facilitate this. We should never have another " Jessica Lal" case ! (Btw, what happened to the police officers who switched one bullet in their forensic lab? What checks and balances have been put in their procedures)
4. Hold Judiciary accountable to clear cases in a time bound fashion as delays in judicial process encourages wrongful behavior. (Does anybody know how many pending cases there are and for how long? ) Implement IT in judiciary to facilitate this
5. Provide power and water on a 24x7x365 basis
6. Provide pot-hole free roads and rationalize non-uniform speed breakers which spring up everywhere at the whim of local authorities
7. Work with local communities to find a better solution for disposal of garbage and improve hygiene and cleanliness. Indian cities are becoming an eye sore with shameful littering and stray animals roaming on already cluttered roads
8. Lastly, raise awareness among all Indians to become responsible and accountable for their actions and behavior and to develop better civic sense eg no jumping red traffic lights, no spitting, no defecation in the open etc etc