Gang rape: Delhi Police defends itself, denies callousness charge

Last Updated: Sat, Jan 05, 2013 11:40 hrs

Delhi Police on Saturday refuted all the allegations made by the friend of the 23-year-old gang rape victim, saying there was no delay on its part and that it was not looking for any appreciation.

Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Gogia, who gave a point-by-point rebuttal to all the allegations, said the PCR van took only 16 minutes to respond and transport victim to the hospital.

"As per PCR records based on computers logs of global positioning system. Following is the factual position- the call was received in PCR at 10: 21 p.m., call received by the PCR van Zebra 54 (at) 10: 24 p.m. Another PCR van, which was on patrolling area Eagle 47 reached there at the spot at 10: 27 p.m. Zebra 54, the other PCR van, to which the call was marked reached there at 10: 29 p.m. Zebra 54 left the spot along with the victims at 10: 39 p.m., this time was utilised in placing the victims in the van after organising a bed sheet from a neighbouring hotel to cover the victims. Zebra 54 brought the victims to Safdarjung Hospital at 10: 55 p.m.," he said.

Gogia said there was no jurisdiction squabble as witness alleges

"These findings have been ascertained through the logs generated by the multi-computer configuration global positioning system. It may also be clarified that PCR vans are not concerned with jurisdiction of police station and are controlled by police control room. They move or respond to distress calls and move victims to hospital irrespective of jurisdiction to designated hospitals," he added.

Stating that the second point that was raised was victim was taken to Safdarjung Hospital and not to a private hospital by PCR, Gogoi said: "In this regard, it is clarified that there are notified designated multi disciplinary hospitals for taking MLC cases and accordingly PCR transferred the victim to Safdarjung Hospital, which is also associated with Vardhaman Medical College."

The Joint Commissioner of Police also informed that the victim was accommodated in a private accommodation and the expenses were met by the police from appropriate funds.

"Third point that he was not given proper treatment and kept in police station for four days. It is clarified that the victim was released from Safdarjung Hospital after first aid and treatment by the hospital authorities within a few hours of being brought there and he was brought to the police station to record his complaint and to assist in the investigation," he said.

Gogia further said that the Delhi Police was not looking for any appreciation.

"Fourth point was that police was expecting appreciation after catching the accused. In this regard, it is clarified that we were only keeping the complainant informed of the developments of the case as per our stated policy to comfort and to update him and not to seek any appreciation or to seek any pat on our back. We were just doing our duty," he said.

In a an interview to a private TV news channel, the victim's friend blamed not only the passer-bys for their indifference, but also Delhi Police PCR vans for fighting over jurisdiction instead of helping them.

The man, who is the only eyewitness to the heinous crime, said that no one stopped to help them for about 25 minutes while he and his friend lay grievously injured and without any clothes on them near Mahipalpur flyover of the national capital.

He said that three police vans arrived after 45 minutes and wasted crucial time in deciding the territorial jurisdiction of the police station under which the case falls.

The medical student was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus on the night of December 16, 2012. She died of her injuries on December 29, 2012 in the multi-specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

Her male friend, who was accompanying her that day, was also assaulted by the accused and both of them were thrown out of the bus. (ANI)

More from Sify: