Gang rape victim's body arrives in Delhi from Singapore

Last Updated: Sun, Dec 30, 2012 04:00 hrs

The body of the 23-year-old gang rape victim was brought to India early on Sunday morning from Singapore where she had died after battling for her life for 13 days.

A special aircraft of Air India carrying the mortal remains of the victim, who died at Singapore's Mount Elizebeth hospital on Saturday morning, landed at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in New Delhi at around 3.30 a.m.

The body was taken out of the airport in an ambulance of a private hospital through the Palm technical area. The girl, a physiotherapy student, was gang raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 night. While undergoing treatment at Safdarjung hospital, she was shifted to the Singapore hospital for further treatment.

Earlier, the Air India special flight carrying the body of the 23-year-old gang rape victim, took off from Singapore"s Changi Airport for India at about 12.30 a.m. local time on Sunday.

On board the plane, chartered by the Indian government to take the paramedical student home to be cremated, were the victim's parents and two brothers, the Strait Times reported.

Indian High Commissioner to Singapore, Dr T.C.A Raghavan said soon after her death that: "The effort was to give the best possible medical attention and medical treatment and our role in the High Commission was to facilitate that particular medical decision which was that she would get very good treatment in Mount Elizabeth Hospital."

He said that the doctors in Singapore tried their very best.

"The team of doctors which had accompanied her from India had fully briefed the doctors here about the injuries suffered, treatment she had undergone, so I would say she received the best possible medical attention in both countries," he said.

The body was bought the Changi Airport cargo area in a hearse. It was accompanied by car from the Indian High Commission. (ANI with inputs)

More from Sify: