Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination that is jointly conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the 7 Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee).
“Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to:
(i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and
(ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science, in the institutions supported by the MHRD and other Government agencies”, says the official statement by IIT about the purpose of this examination.
In addition to educational institutes, many other central government organizations (PSU) also use GATE scores to shortlist candidates for various job vacancies.They are:
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Central Electronics Limited (CEL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC)
- West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Ltd.
- Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSTCL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)
- National Buildings Construction Corporation Ltd. (NBCC)
- National Fertilisers Ltd (NFL)
- Neyveli lignite corporation ltd (NLC)
- Oil India Ltd
- Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India
- Institute of Plasma Research (IPR)
The government of India has also expressed their interest to utilize GATE 2018 scores for their recruitment purposes.
Direct recruitment to Group A level posts such as Senior Field Officer (Tele), Senior Research Officer (Crypto) and Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India, is now being carried out on the basis of GATE score.