Haneef: Australia won’t release documents

Last Updated: Fri, May 09, 2008 04:19 hrs

Melbourne: Australian authorities have refused to release the documents relating to the bungled case of Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef who was wrongly accused of having terror links in failed Glasgow airport attack.

Column: Working mom’s blues | Universal Mothers | Mother’s Day special | Gift your mom

The Immigration Department, which blocked the release of large numbers of documents relating to Haneef's case under Freedom of Information (FOI), rejected any possibility of releasing them, The Australian reported.

Haneef's lawyers had asked the court to overturn the Immigration Department's decision that is said to jeopardise further investigations and discourage bureaucrats from giving frank advice to ministers, the report said.

Full coverage: Glasgow terror plot

The move came as federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland's office denied extending the inquiry to consider the actions of government agencies, including the Australian Federal Police, which maintains that Haneef is still a suspect and under investigation.

The Indian doctor was charged with recklessly helping a terrorist organisation after his SIM card was allegedly found with a cousin linked to the failed UK car bombings last year.

For more International news | For more Political news | For more Offbeat news

More from Sify: