New Delhi, Mar 1 (IANS) Well after the Rajya Sabha expunged names of three Maharashtra rape victims from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde's statement Friday, his ministry committed a faux pas by circulating it to the media with names intact.
The home ministry circulated the text of Shinde's statement to media through a press release, not realising the names had been expunged from the records of the Rajya Sabha. However, it was withdrawn within an hour and a revised press release was issued.
Shinde earlier told reporters after the names of three girls were expunged from records that he had withdrawn his statement.
"I have withdrawn the statement and Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (P.J. Kurien) expunged it. I have asked the home secretary to inquire into the matter," Shinde said.
Shinde had read out a statement on the gruesome incident in Maharashtra where three minor sisters were kidnapped, raped and murdered last month. Their bodies were found in a well.
He named all the rape victims, which according to the law is prohibited.
The matter was raised by Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley, who said Shinde should not have named Bhandara rape victims.