Chennai: Voter ID card or Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC) is an identification card issued by the Election Commission to all eligible voters, to enable voter identification on election day.
But the mere possession of voter ID card DOES NOT entitle you to voting, because it is mandatory for your name to appear in electoral roll or voter list.
All those who are already enrolled in the voter list are eligible to receive a voter ID card. .
Once you have found out that your name is there in the electoral rolls, and you possess an approved identity proof document (voter ID card or others), you are entitled to vote.
Getting a voter ID card
To register for a voter ID card, you must fill and submit (Form 001).You can submit Form 001 and get a voter ID card in either of the following ways:
1. If you are submitting your voter registration form (Form 6 / 8 / 8A) to your Electoral Registration Officer (ERO), you can also submit Form 001A to apply for a voter ID card at the same time.
2. 2. After you have become a registered voter i.e. after your name appears in voter list, you can submit Form 001C to your ERO.
3. 3. At specific time periods, Election Commission of India (ECI) organizes drives to issue voter ID cards to all registered voters through Designated Photographic Locations (DPL). During these drives, the ECI advertises in all major newspapers of the state. Citizens whose names appear on the voters' list are also given information notices by the EROs of each area. The notices issued contain useful information such as the name and age of the person, the house number, the constituency number, and the polling booth or part number. It also mentions the date on which the voter IDs will be issued for a particular polling booth / part and address of DPL.
Once the voter receives the notice, he/she must visit the DPL which is generally a school or government office in the locality. Each DPL will usually have two systems equipped with digital cameras. The voter ID card is issued in 10 to 15 minutes.
While most of the above applies to all states in India, there might be some differences in the way in which different states issue voter ID cards. To know the exact rules, please visit the website of your state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO).
Filling Form 001
Form 001 is the application form required to be filled and submitted by voters to get a photo voter ID card, also called Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
There are 2 types of Form 001:
1. Form 001A (click to download) - For those who are applying for a voter ID card at the same time of applying for voter registration through Form 6/ 8/ 8A. Follow the instructions below to fill out Form 001A:
%u2022 Enter the name of your state and Assembly Constituency(AC) in relevant fields. If you do not know your AC name and AC number, you can check it right here at jaagore.com
%u2022 Enter your name, the name of your relation and your address as mentioned in your voter registration form (Form 6 / 8/ 8A)
%u2022 Submit 2 copies of your recent passport sized photographs. Sign and affix one copy to the form (at shown box location) and attach the other copy separately to the form.
%u2022 Please enclose an attested photocopy of any photo-bearing document for verification of the photograph. In case the document is self-attested, then show the original at the time of submission of the Form in person]
%u2022 Drop this for alongwith your voter registration form (Form 6 / 8/ 8A) at the office of your Electoral Registration Officer (ERO)
to know the office location of your ERO, right here at jaagore.com
2. Form 001C (click to download) - For those who are already registered on electoral rolls, and are applying for a photo electoral roll or getting a voter ID card. Follow the instructions below to fill out Form 001C:
%u2022 Under section I, enter the name of your state and Assembly Constituency(AC) in relevant fields. If you do not know your AC name and AC number, you can check it right here at jaagore.com
%u2022 Under section I, enter your name, the name of your relation and your address as mentioned in your voter registration form (Form 6)
%u2022 Ask your Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) to fill out section II, at the time of submitting your Form 001C.
%u2022 Under section III, enter your date of birth and attach a valid age proof document to the form
%u2022 Under section IV, affix 2 of your recent passport sized photographs - one signed and other unsigned. Please enclose an attested photocopy of any photo-bearing document (from amongst the list mentioned in Form 001C) for verification of the photograph and date of birth. In case the document is self-attested, then show the original at the time of submission of the Form in person]
%u2022 Drop this form at the office of your ERO
(Text courtesy: Jagore.com)