Web Sify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

India blames Pakistan for LoC violations

Source : IBNS
Last Updated: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 19:53 hrs

New Delhi/Islamabad, Jan 11 (IBNS): India on Friday blamed Pakistan for the border skirmish and ceasefire violations in Kashmir border that claimed two soldiers' lives on either side even as the latter summoned the Indian ambassador in Islamabad to lodge its protest.

India´s external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said there was unprovoked firing from the Pakistan side in Mendhar sector.

"There was controlled response from the Indian side," he said.


Defence Minister AK Antony said the ceasefire violations were ´ a major cause of concern´.

"We are taking it seriously," Antony told reporters.

India said Pakistan continued to violate ceasefire norms along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir by resorting to firing in the Poonch and Mendhar sectors since Thursday, including during the night for hours.

Indian army said small arm firing was carried out by Pakistan for nearly five hours though no one was injured on the Indian side.

Pakistan on the other hand claimed that it lost one of its soldiers in the firing from Indian side and blamed India for creating provocation.

Pakistan on Friday summoned the Indian ambassador in Islamabad in order to register its protest over the death of a Pakistani soldier in a cross-border attack from Indian troops at the LoC (Line of Control).

According to reports, Pakistan Foreign Office summoned Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal and served demarche to him over Thursday´s incident.

Pertinently, Pakistan´s Foreign Affairs Ministry on Monday summoned India´s Deputy High Commissioner in the country to register its protest on what it called an "unprovoked attack" along its border on Sunday.

Pakistan on Sunday had said Indian troops raided a military post in the Haji Pir sector of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, killing a soldier and injuring another.

The Indian Army however said it had responded to a "ceasefire violation" but did not cross the Line of Control.

Meanwhile, amid rising tensions over border firing and killing of two Indian soldiers, Pakistan has suspended the Poonch-Rawalakot bus service for three days.

Tension between the two nuclear armed neighbours heightened over border firing and killing of two Indian soldiers, including the beheading of one of the martyrs by Pakistan.

Pakistan has, however, denied it beheaded the Indian soldier.

Earlier on Thursday, India said 26/11 mastermind and Lashkar-e-Taiba leader Hafiz Saeed was spotted in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) a few days back, indicating that he could be behind the attack on Indian soldiers and beheading of a trooper along the Kashmir border this week.

Shinde confirmed that in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) area, 2008 Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed was present three four days back and talked with people, thus not completely ruling out Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) involvement on the border attack and LeT´s links with Pakistan army.

He, however, refused to comment on the matter directly.

However, despite growing tensions over the issue, Shinde said India will not cancel the new visa agreement it has entered with Pakistan and it will be carried out as per schedule.

National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon on Thursday said there has been an increase in ceasefire violations by Pakistan over the last one year.

India has also rejected Pakistan´s suggestion that the incident should be investigated by the United Nations (UN).

More from Sify:
blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news