Indiana man jailed for attempted robbery

Last Updated: Fri, Jun 14, 2013 08:38 hrs

Cincinnati, June 14 (IBNS) A 44-year-old man identified as Anthony Marquette Phillips of Fort Wayne, Indiana was sentenced to 235 months in prison for his role in the armed robbery of a bank in Springboro on April 27, 2012, plus an additional 120 months for using and discharging a firearm during the course of the robbery.

Carter M. Stewart, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio; Kevin R. Cornelius, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Cincinnati (FBI); and Springboro Police Chief Jeffrey Kruithoff announced the sentence handed down June 12 by U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett.

According to court documents, Phillips and Anton Jevon Alexander, 36, of Indianapolis, Indiana, approached the bank manager as he was entering the building's rear door at 8:30 in the morning and pushed him inside.

Springboro police officers received a 911 call and arrived at the bank around 8:40. The would-be robbers attempted to flee when they heard police arriving. Phillips fired a shot at the manager. The manager escaped safely. The men remained in the bank until approximately 1:30 Friday afternoon when they emerged and were taken into custody.

Each defendant pleaded guilty on October 12, 2012. Alexander was sentenced on May 7, 2013, to 15 years in prison.

U.S. Attorney Stewart commended the prompt response and investigation by Springboro Police and FBI agents, as well as District Criminal Chief Kenneth L. Parker and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Stephens with Butler County Prosecutor Mike Gmoser's Office, who represented the United States in the case.

Stewart also commended the cooperative response and investigation by the Warren County Sheriff's Office-Tactical Response Unit, Hostage Negotiation Team; the police departments in Miami Township, Franklin, Lebanon, Dayton, Clearcreek Township; the Clearcreek Township Fire Department; and the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

More from Sify: