Italian tourist not neglected in hospital, says Odisha govt

Source : PTI
Last Updated: Fri, Mar 15, 2013 20:23 hrs

Cuttack: The Odisha government on Friday informed the high court that no negligence was meted out to the Italian tourist who died in the SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack while under treatment in November last year.

The affidavit sworn by a deputy secretary of the health department also denied the allegations that the foreign tourist was removed from the ICU on the day when the chief minister visited the ICU to meet an ailing MLA of his party.

The health official justifying the shifting of the Italian tourist from the ICU to a general ward maintained that had it not been done, other patients in the ICU would have suffered severely as the Italian was diagnosed with acute chest infection.



The state government said that the proposal of the Cuttack collector to have a separate ICU for infectious patients in the hospital was not feasible now. The acting superintendent of the hospital too has made a similar affidavit to the high court.

The state government and the hospital authorities were earlier asked by the high court to respond stating what actions had been taken at the government level over a report made by the Cuttack collector on the death of the Italian tourist.

The high court is adjudicating over a PIL filed by a Human Rights activists seeking compensation to the family of the foreign tourist, who allegedly died due to negligence.

More from Sify: