New Delhi: A journalist, Syed Mohammed Kazmi, who worked for an Iranian news agency and was accused of being involved in the bomb attack on the car of an Israeli diplomat, was released from judicial custody here late on Saturday.
Kazmi was earlier granted bail by the Supreme Court of India, as no charge sheet had been filed against him within the stipulated period of 90 days after his arrest.
Kazmi was arrested on March 6 this year in connection with Israeli embassy car bomb blast.
A staffer with national television channel Doordarshan, he also freelanced for Iran's Islamic Republic News Agency.
Emerging out of Tihar Jail, Kazmi told reporters that he had full faith in the legal system of the country.
"I am feeling very good and I am overwhelmed to tens of thousands of people in my support. I would also thank media for supporting me in getting justice. I feel my release is the victory of our law and that the law of the land and the Constitution is above all," said Kazmi.
Thousands of his supporters and admirers had gathered outside the prison and they hailed the occasion by bursting crackers.
In February, a bomber travelling by motorcycle attached an explosive to the car of the Israeli diplomat's wife as she drove to pick her children up from school on February 13 in New Delhi, hours after an attack was foiled in Tbilisi, Georgia.
Kazmi was not directly involved in the attack itself.
According to a senior police offer who wished to remain anonymous, the main suspect was a foreigner, possibly an Iranian.
Israel accused Iran and the Lebanese Hezbollah of being behind the twin bomb attacks that targeted Israeli embassy staff in India and Georgia. (ANI)