Kate hoax prank call: Family members of Indian-origin nurse mourn her death

Last Updated: Sat, Dec 08, 2012 12:23 hrs

Family members of Jacintha Saldanha, the Indian-origin nurse who was duped into transferring a hoax call that gave away information on Prince William's pregnant wife Kate Middleton's medical condition, on Saturday expressed grief on hearing of her death.

"Morning eight clock, he (Benedict Barboza) rang up to say that she is no more, more than that we do not know, what actually happened. She is dead, that's all," said Camril Barboza, the mother-in-law of Jacintha Saldanha.

Jacintha Saldanha's sister Cerolin D'souza looked quite disturbed.

"She has left us. We were wondering what happened, whether she met with an accident, when she was returning home from the hospital. Yesterday she was to come home, whether it was an accident between the hospital and home, because she was to return home to join her husband and children. When I asked what happened, he was not able to communicate and he broke down," she said.

Meanwhile, Ronald Mahenjis, a distant relative of Jacintha Saldanha, said that he knew nothing about what actually happened with the Indian-origin nurse.

"No, we don't know anything because we are here and his sister also does not know and Benedict's mother also doesn't know anything. This morning only she came to know and when we do not know anything, how can we say that whether it is a hoax call or anything. We do not know anything," he said.

46-year-old Saldanha's unconscious body was found this morning at an address yards away from King Edward VII Hospital.

According to reports, Jacintha answered the hoax call at 5.30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, and was helping out on reception at the time of the prank. DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian were pretending to be the British Queen and Prince Charles and asked her if they could be put through to Kate.

Jacintha connected them to another nurse who gave details of Kate's condition, who was suffering from acute morning sickness at the London hospital.

The exact cause of the death remains unclear. (ANI)

More from Sify: