Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Friday asked the Congress-led UPA Government not to repeat the mistake of 1962 by taking the incursion of Chinese troops lightly, and urged for a thorough probe of the ground situation.
"The same thing happened in 1962, when repeatedly it was said that there is no problem and the slogans of Indo-China brothers were being said and then suddenly a war was fought. We just hope the government does not keep sleeping this time," Swaraj told the media at a press conference here.
" So, we want that whatever the government says, any explanation they give, should be after seeing and examining all the facts because the country is worried about this situation," she added.
The Sino-Indian War, also known as the Sino-Indian Border Conflict, was a war between China and India that occurred in 1962. A disputed Himalayan border was the main pretext for war, but other issues played a role. There had been a series of violent border incidents after the 1959 Tibetan uprising, when India had granted asylum to the Dalai Lama. India initiated a Forward Policy in which it placed outposts along the border, including several north of the 'McMahon Line', the eastern portion of a Line of Actual Control proclaimed by Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai in 1959.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister A.K. Antony today said that negotiations and consultations are on at various levels to find a peaceful solution to the Chinese incursion issue in Ladakh.
"Negotiations and consultations are going on at various levels to find out a peaceful solution to Chinese incursion issue," he told mediapersons outside the Parliament in New Delhi.
Chief of Army Staff, General Bikram Singh, yesterday briefed the Defence Minister on the Chinese incursion in Ladakh and the situation along the border.
General Singh, who reviewed the situation in Jammu and Kashmir and the Ladakh area with military commanders in the Northern Command, is said to have discussed various issues related to the armed forces with formation commanders and interacted with troops deployed on the Line of Control and counter insurgency duties.
The Indian Army has given its inputs to the Government and the National Security Advisor-headed China Study Group, which is handling the present situation in Ladakh.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, who is to go ahead with his scheduled visit to China on May 9, has expressed confidence that New Delhi and Beijing will be able to resolve the situation arising after the incursion in Indian territory by Chinese forces.
Apparently taking a tough stance on the reported presence of Chinese troops ten kilometers inside Indian territory in the Ladakh region, India had earlier on Tuesday asked China to maintain the status-quo on the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Referring to the incident, reported widely in the Indian media, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said during his regular said that 'New Delhi sees this as a face-to-face situation between border personnel of the two sides due to differences in their perception of the alignment of the Line of Actual Control'.
"We have therefore asked the Chinese side to maintain status-quo in this sector and by status-quo I mean status-quo prior to this incident. The term face-to-face situation is not something that we have conjured up; it is something that is referred to under 205 protocol for the implementation of CBMs in the military field along the Line of Actual Control in the India-China border areas," he added.
On April 15, a Platoon-strength contingent of China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) entered the Indian territory in Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector in eastern Ladakh and erected a tented post, setting the stage for a face-off with Indian troops.
Daulat Beg Oldi, which is located in northernmost Ladakh, is a historic camp site. It is located on an ancient trade route connecting Ladakh to Yarkand in Xinjiang, China. (ANI)