6.30 pm:Father-in-law rapes woman for 3 years, arrested
An elderly man was on Wednesday arrested for allegedly raping his daughter-in-law for about three years at a village in Maharashtra's Beed, police said. The wife of the accused, Bhamabai Thorve, was also arrested for allowing her husband to rape their daughter-in-law.
55-year-old Sampat Baburao Thorve, a resident of Solapurwadi village in Ashti tehsil, raped the 23-year-old woman several times between 2009 till May 2012, police said. The woman's husband, Bibhishan, also allowed his father to sexually assault his wife, as per the complaint filed by the victim on Tuesday.
A case has been registered against the victim's husband and in-laws, police said, adding that the victim's husband is yet to be arrested.
Indian aviation sector growing at the fastest pace: Antony
Defence Minister A K Antony today said the Indian aviation sector is growing at the fastest pace and will evolve into a major hub for aerospace operations and outsourcing in the coming days.
Inaugurating the 9th edition of Aero India-2013, at Air Force Station, Yelhanka, Bangalore, Antony underscored the need to create a strong defence industrial base in the country.
He said in view of immense opportunities available in the aerospace industry the revised Defence Procurement Policy of 2010 has provided for more public-private partnerships model to the industry. Read more
More highlights from Modi's speech:
- Government has no business to do business
- For development we should have skill, scale and speed
- Minimum government and maximum governance is my creed
- We need to upgrade our skills and work speedily
- India image abroad is changed by the hard-working youngster and not by any political leader
- India's youth can rule the world
- We should work towards the fruition of Swami Vivekanand's dream in the 150th year of his birth
- Development is the solution to all problems
- The country has been adversely affected by votebank politics - we need development politics. There is no alternative to development
Update on Modi speech
- There is no one among you who has not had salt from Gujrarat
- India must develop quality product and services
- India needs good teachers and Gujarat has set up an university to train teachers
- Technology upgradation is a must if India wants to develop
- Gujarat government organises agriculture fair in May every year for the development of agriculture
- Gujarat has the youngest police force in the country
- Gujaratis are the best tourists. You will find them everywhere - Even in five star hotels you will find them eating thepla from dabbas. Purchasing power should continously rise.
- When we were young anything that was 'Made in Japan' was bought without a second thought. Why not create a 'Made in India' craze
- We hosted CWG, through that one event we could have created branding for our country
- Vibrant Gujarat created a branding for Gujarat. 50% GDP of the country was under one roof at the Vibrant Gujarat summit. I had 10 days to organize it but 121 countries were there
Update on Modi speech
- We teach our farmers how to increase their produce
- We have started a project to reserve water. Gujarat is the only state where water level is going up
- We need to work on value addition. Farm to fibre, fibre to fabric, fabric to fashion, fashion to foreign
- People in Delhi drink milk that comes from Gujarat. In Europe, if you eat bhindi, that would have come from Gujarat
- We hold a medical camp for cattle regularly. As a result in last 6 years, over 100 cattle disease has been eradicated
- Due to cattle well-being, milk produce has increased. As a result a village's economy has strengthened
- Today the number of our universities has increased. We are the first in the world to have a forensic university.
Update on Modi speech
As students continue to protest outside the SRCC in Delhi, around 1,800 students listen to Modi speak about his growth model for Gujarat inside.Here are a few highlights:
- I come from the land of Gujarat, from the land of Mahatma Gandhi and Vallabhai Patel.
- Two streams of thought influenced our freedom struggle - non-violence and armed revolution.
- The entire world is looking at Gujarat model of governance
- Good governance for me is P2G2, Pro People Good Governance
- Gujarat model of development is based on three sectors
- We have developed our state on 3 pillars. Agricultural, industry, service sector. Even if one pillar fails, the other two can support the economy of the state
- We are not a poor country. We are rich in natural resources. We are not using our resources properly, our challenge is use them fully
- I am an eternal optimist and always hopeful
- India can develop and I can say this on the basis of my experience in Gujarat
- Lack of good governance means the whole country thinks that all politicians are involved in scams
Modi arrives at SRCC
Narendra Modi has arrived at the Shri Ram College of Commerce. He is set to speak in a few moments.
However, outside the college police disperse protestors using water canons.
Student protesters are trying to break past the barricades. TV reports said that police are trying hard to bring the situation under control. Section 144 has been imposed at SRCC.
The students are protesting "Modi's refusal to apologise for the Gujarat carnage and the horrible treatment and repression that minorities in Gujarat have been subjected to since 2002". They said that they do not want to endorse Modi's model of development by allowing him to speak at the funtion.