MP rape victim still critical; alleged rapist arrested in Bihar

Last Updated: Tue, Apr 23, 2013 17:57 hrs

After evading arrest for six days, the man accused of raping a five-year-old girl of Madhya Pradesh, was arrested from Hussainabad area of Bihar's Bhagalpur district on Tuesday.

Accused Firoz Khan (35) was nabbed by Bihar police from his maternal uncle's home in Hussainabad locality under Muzahidpur police station area of the district, officer in-charge of the police station Jameel Ashgar said.

Ashgar said the accused was arrested with the help of local residents.

An MP police team, which is in the state on the lookout for the accused and were today in Supual, has been informed about the arrest and they are on way here, Ashgar added.

Khan, working in Jhabua power plant limited in Madhya Pradesh, allegedly raped the minor girl in Shivni district of Madhya Pradesh on April 17.

The girl is battling for life in a hospital in Nagpur. After committing the crime, Khan had fled to Bihar. A joint team of MP and Bihar police were trying to arrest him since Sunday last.

After a search for the accused in Banka failed to yield result, the joint police team visited neighbouring Supual district on Indo-Nepal border tracking mobile phone signals, SP Pushkar Anand said.

The police suspected the accused of trying to flee to Nepal through the porous border and his mobile was found switched off. Luck ran out for him and he was arrested tonight in Bhagalpur.

5-year-old's health deteriorates

The condition of the five-year old rape victim from Ghansaur town in Seoni district of Madhya Pradesh, who is battling for life, has deteriorated, hospital authorities said here today.

"The condition of the minor girl is deteriorating," spokesman of the private hospital in Ramdaspeth area, where she has been admitted, said.

Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta visited the hospital last evening to enquire about the victim's health. He assured the victim's family that the culprit would soon be caught by the state police.

According to Madhya Pradesh police, the girl was allegedly raped by 35-year-old Firoz Khan on April 17 in Ghansaur town, after which he dumped her at a farm.

The girl's parents found her unconscious the next morning and she was taken to Netaji Subhash Chandra Medical College and Hospital in Jabalpur.

However, the girl was brought to Nagpur in Maharashtra by an air ambulance and admitted to Care Hospital in Ramdaspeth area shortly before midnight on April 20.

More from Sify: