WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Maharashtra Congress asks MCA to lift Wankhede ban on SRK

Source : IANS
Last Updated: Tue, May 07, 2013 11:20 hrs

Mumbai, May 7 (IANS) The Maharashtra Congress Tuesday rushed to the aid of beleaguered actor Shah Rukh Khan who has been banned by Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) for five years from entering Wankhede Stadium.

Shah Rukh-owned Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians are set to face off at the Wankhede here Tuesday and the star actor is all set to miss the clash.

State Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant appealed to MCA to lift the five-year ban imposed on Shah Rukh from entering and viewing cricket matches in Wankhede Stadium in view of his 'misbehaviour' during last year's Indian Premier League (IPL).

In a letter to MCA president Ravi Sawant, Sachin said: "After (Khan) publicly apologised for his misconduct, we feel that it would be in the interest of sports if your esteemed organisation shows true sportsman spirit and allows entry."

Sawant added that it was not the question of Shah Rukh as an actor but of any citizen.

"A ban is not a democratic punishment especially when the person has apologized. I request you to reconsider the punishment given to him and allow entry for today's match," he said

Khan was banned from entering the Wankhede Stadium after he allegedly misbehaved with security officials after an IPL match here May 16, 2012.

A few days later, the MCA, led by its former president, the late Vilasrao Deshmukh slapped a five-year ban on the actor from entering the stadium premises in south Mumbai in the wake of his alleged unruly behaviour.

Shah Rukh subsequently tender a public apology for his 'misbehaviour' to his fans, the cricket fraternity and his family, but the MCA continued the ban on him.

The MCA informed the Mumbai police Monday that it would not permit Shah Rukh entry for Tuesday's match at the stadium.




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news