WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Man accused of cyber attack on Russian president's website

Source : IANS
Last Updated: Mon, Jan 14, 2013 12:40 hrs

Moscow, Jan 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 30-year-old man from Russia's Krasnoyarsk region has been accused of staging a cyber attack on the president's website, the Federal Security Service said Monday.

Officials said the man, who remains unidentified, used hacking software to block access to the presidential Web site May 9 last year, reportedly in support of the anti-Kremlin street opposition.

The man maintains his innocence and claims he was unaware of the software's blocking capability, officials said.

He faces up to four years in prison if found guilty for the "creation, use and distribution of malicious computer software".

This is the second such case to have emanated from Krasnoyarsk in recent months. In June 2012, a 19-year-old student was accused of attacking both the president's and the government's websites in May.

Officials allege the man watched a video tutorial on hacking, posted by hacker group Anonymous, for instruction. He reportedly did not deny his involvement in the attack, and was released from house arrest pending further action.

--IANS/RIA Novosti

pm/




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news