Man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest

Last Updated: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 09:15 hrs

Washington: A man in Florida died after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms during a contest to win a pet python.

Edward Archbold, 32, was one of several participants in an insect-eating contest Friday sponsored by the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida, 65 km north of Miami, according to local police.

Archbold began vomiting shortly after his exploits won him the python. He collapsed outside the store, police in Broward County said in a statement. Emergency responders took Archbold to a nearby hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Ben Siegel, owner of the store that held the contest told WPLG-TV he was "very saddened by this", and added that Archbold was "the life of the party".

The grand prize in the contest titled "Eat Bugs for Balls" was a female Ivory Ball python worth $850, which Archbold had reportedly planned to sell to a friend.

Meanwhile, Siegel's attorney said in a statement that the more than 20 participants in the contest had signed a waiver accepting responsibility for their participation in "this unique and unorthodox contest".

More from Sify: