Manchester City beat Everton

Source : IBNS
Last Updated: Mon, Oct 07, 2013 12:27 hrs

Manchester City once again rode on a Kun Aguero brace to overpower Everton FC here at the Etihad Stadium by 3-1 and to move third place in the league standings.

After being outplayed by a brilliant Bayern Munich side in the midweek, rumours circulated about Manuel Pellegrini having lost his faith on England´s first choice goalkeeper Joe Hart.

The start of the game proved these talks wrong as the 26-year old shot stopper started under the bar-post for Manchester City.

The game started with a shock as Everton striker Romelu Lukaku drew first blood by striking the first goal of the match on the 16-minute mark which gave his team the lead.

But the home supporters did not have to panic for long as 90 seconds later City levelled through a lovely move which was finished off by Alvaro Negredo.

Then it was all out attack by Manchester City as they had the lion share of the possession and their midfield was working tirelessly to create some excellent opportunities for the lone striker, Kun Aguero.

City went ahead on the stroke of half-time when Sergio Aguero fired home brilliantly from the right edge of the six-yard box.

The second half was even more comfortable for the hosts as the away side could not retain possession for long and with one lone striker up front, Manchester City´s defenders found it easy to overpower Lukaku by crowding him out.

City were ahead and slowly tightened the noose, stifling most of Everton´s attack and choking them out of the game. An injury to Kolarov after Naismith shoved the left back into Nastasic slowed them down, but only briefly, and they went 3-1 up thanks to a dubious penalty decision.

Coleman shoved Zabaleta inside the penalty box and the Argentine made no mistake to take this opportunity and go down theatrically. Referee Jonathan Moss got it all wrong and awarded a penalty to Manchester City in the 68th minute.

Kun Aguero stepped up and converted the penalty to score his second goal of the match.

City continued to look the side more likely to score and Howard prevented Negredo from making it four with a smart stop before also denying substitute Samir Nasri in injury time.

The standard of refereeing in the match presented a controversial talking point to the neutral viewers.

Jonathan Moss handed out nine cards in a game that was hardly dirty, and also showed inconsistency in awarding the home side a penalty but denying Everton a spot-kick in the first half for a similar-looking offence.

More from Sify: