New Delhi, June 11 (IBNS) Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday presented the monthly report card of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in New Delhi.
Following is the text of the opening statement of Shinde at the monthly press conference:
In a serious incident of violence by CPI (Maoist) on 25.5.2013, a large group of armed Maoist cadres ambushed a convoy of 20 vehicles carrying congress leaders and workers in Jiram Ghati area of Darbha, District Bastar in Chhattisgarh and killed 26 persons and injured 39 persons. The nature of this incident is unprecedented since the CPI (Maoist) cadres indiscriminately targeted unarmed political workers, who were soft targets. This appears to be an attempt by them to capture national media space and also to motivate their own cadres. The Hon'ble Prime Minister alongwith the UPA Chairperson visited Raipur on 26th May, 2013 and reviewed the security situation and discussed long term issues like construction of roads and mobile connectivity in Bastar Region. Union Home Secretary alongwith Director, IB visited Raipur on 28th May, 2013. On 31st May, 2013, I also visited Chhattisgarh and held extensive discussions with the Governor of Chhattisgarh, Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh and State Government officers on the multipronged steps needed to combat the CPI(Maoist).
2. The Government of Chhattisgarh has initiated a Judicial Inquiry into the matter. I discussed the matter with the Chief Minister of Chhattishgarh, who agreed to the transfer of the case to the National Investigation Agency (NIA). Accordingly, the case relating to the commission of offence by CPI (Maoist) on the convoy of the Congress workers and leaders on 25th May, 2013 in the hilly areas of Darbha valley in District Bastar, Chhattisgarh was transferred to NIA.
3. On 28th May, 2013, the Cabinet Secretary held three meetings of the Committee of Secretaries to discuss various security and development related issues in respect of Left Wing Extremists(LWE) affected States. On 29th May, 2013, the Cabinet Secretary held a meeting on development related issues in LWE affected States such as education, health, electrification, absence of Post Offices and banks, distribution of community rights under the Forest Rights Act, 2006, etc.
4. On 14th May, 2013 I visited Jharkhand and reviewed the LWE situation and implementation of various centrally sponsored schemes in the State.
5. From 20th May to 22nd May, 2013, I visited USA for the Second Round of Homeland Security Dialogue between India and USA. The Indian Delegation led by me, met the USA Delegation led by Ms. Janet Napolitano, Secretary, Department of Homeland Security. I also met Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation and Attorney General of USA and discussed bilateral security matters. The Attorney General, Mr. Eric Holder accepted my suggestion that our officials dealing with extradition and mutual legal assistance matters should meet more often, within the context of our existing senior official level Working Group on Mutual Legal Assistance matters. The India Delegation also visited security related sites in Washington DC and the site of the recent bomb blast in Boston. I also interacted with the Police Commissioner, Boston.
6. Under the Security Related Expenditure (SRE) Scheme, on 28th May, 2013, an amount of Rs. 9885.46 Lakh was released as advance to 9 LWE affected States of Andhra Pradesh (Rs. 992.61 lakh), Bihar (Rs. 1371.66 lakh), Chhattisgarh (Rs. 1398.00 lakh), Jharkhand (Rs. 2421.30 lakh), Madhya Pradesh (Rs. 55.75 lakh), Maharashtra (Rs. 738.51 lakh), Odisha (Rs. 1780.81 lakh), Uttar Pradesh (Rs. 108.82 lakh) and West Bengal (Rs. 1018.73 lakh) for implementation of Annual Work Plan 2013-14.
7. During the period from 1st May, 2013 to 28th May, 2013, four advisories /alerts were issued to the LWE affected States.
8. On 24th May, 2013, in Manipur, 80 persons from United Peoples' Party of Kangleipak (UPPK) cadres surrendered and joined the peace process alongwith the arms and signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
9. The Tribunal in the matter of Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) of Meghalaya, National Democratic Front of Boroland (NDFB) of Assam and United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) of Assam confirmed that there is sufficient cause for declaring these groups as Unlawful Associations.
10. On 17th May, 2013, sanction for prosecution was issued under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 and the Indian Penal Code for filing a supplementary Charge sheet by NIA against four accused in the crime relating to Malegaon Bomb Blast.
11. On 10th May, 2013, the 15th Meeting of the Standing Committee of the Northern Zonal Council comprising the States of Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Haryana, Punjab, NCT of Delhi and Chandigarh was held under the Chairmanship of Chief Secretary, Rajasthan at Jaipur.
12. Under the Special Industry Initiatives Scheme for Jammu and Kashmir, known as 'Udaan' the Project Appraisal Committee, in its 18th meeting held on 30th May, 2013, approved the proposals of M/s. Talisma Bangalore to train 30 candidates and of M/s. Shristi Infrastructure Development Corporation (SIDCL), Delhi to train 750 candidates over a period of five years. 13 corporates visited J&K in the month of May, 2013 and selected 657 candidates, out of which the background verification of 245 candidates has been completed.
13. During the month of May, 2013, an amount of Rs. 1425.60 crore was approved for augmentation of Training Facility in CRPF through expansion of existing Recruitment Training Centres at Neemuch, Avadi, Peringom, Srinagar and Rajgir; and creation of three new Recruitment Training Centres at Lator, Jodhpur and Amethi; one CoBRA School of Jungle Warfare and Tactics (CSJWT) at Belgaum; and one Counter Insurgency and Anti-Terrorism (CIAT) School at Chittoor. The sanction to this effect was issued on 23rd May, 2013.
14. On 23rd May 2013, an amount of Rs.20.95 crore was sanctioned for acquisition of land and an amount of Rs.53.03 crore for construction of office/residential buildings to CRPF, BSF and ITBP. In addition, the Cabinet Committee on Security has approved the revision of construction cost from Rs.884.10 crore to Rs.1440.75 crore for 10 CoBRA Battalion of CRPF. Sanction to this effect was issued on 23rd May, 2013.
15. Under the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS), till date contracts for System Integrators (SIs) have been signed in 31 States/ UTs and advance payment to SIs have been made in 22 States/ UTs. Till date, 31 Contracts have been signed with the respective State Project Management Units (SPMUs) by State/UTs and all 35 LOIs (Letter of Intent) have been issued to the respective SPMUs by the State/UTs.
16. As part of Capacity Building (Training) under CCTNS, till date, training has been imparted to 7.04 lakhs persons and Capacity Building (Infrastructure) has been completed in 877 units.
17. During the period from 21/04/2013 to 20/05/2013, the Narcotics Control Bureau has seized 119.950 kg of Cannabis herb, 5.532 kg of heroin, 14.420 kg of hashish, 38.538 kg of opium, 15.270 kg of ketamine, 9.0 kg of Acetic Anhydride, 31.980 kg of Methamphetamine, 13.90 kg of methaqualone, 79.883 kg of pseudo-ephedrine in powder form, 295.6 kg of loose tablets of pseudo-ephedrine, one lakh tablets of pseudo-ephedrine in strips and 16 kg of Methadone. The combined value of the drugs seized is about Rs. 6.33 crore. 27 persons were arrested during the period under report.
18. A two day Conference on National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) was held on 13-14th May, 2013 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, which was inaugurated by the Hon'ble Prime Minister. Two plenary sessions on (i) "Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction in Development: Achievements and Way ahead" and (ii) "implementation issues and views from States/UTs" were held on the first day. On the second day, six thematic sessions on the following items were held:-
(i) Harnessing Technology for Disaster Risk Reduction
(ii) Making the Cities Safe.
(iii) Risk Financing Mechanism.
(iv) Long Term Recovery and Rehabilitation.
(v) Public Policy and Governance.
(vi) Multi Stake Holders Consultations.
19. An Annual Conference of the Relief Commissioners/ Secretaries of the Department of Disaster Management of States and Union Territories was held on 14th May, 2013 in Delhi to review the status of preparedness, particularly in the context of South-West Monsoon 2013 and to discuss important issues relating to strengthening of disaster management system in the country. Representatives of the States/UTs, various Central Ministries, the Organizations concerned with disaster management participated in the Conference.
20. An All India Conference of Correctional Administrators was held at New Delhi on 15-16 May, 2013. The Conference was attended by the Judicial Officers and Prisons Officials from States and Union Territories and Non-Governmental Organisations working in the field of prison welfare. The issues discussed in the Conference were: (i) Overcrowding in Prisons; (ii) Best Prison Practices/ Innovative Steps for reformation/ rehabilitation/ community corrections in respect of persons with long term sentences; (iii) Professional Development and well being of Prison staff (iv) Enactment of Prisons Act (v) Vocational Training & Educational Programmes for inmates with a view to their rehabilitation and reintegration; (vi) Progress and use of Technology for Correctional Management & Security Management; (vii) Best Practices in Correctional Administration (viii) Modernization of Prisons, (ix) outsourcing of prison facilities/ Correctional Homes and (x) integration of prison services with judicial and police set up.
21. On 10th May, 2013, an advisory has been issued to the States and Union Territories that police shall register an FIR or a 'Zero FIR' upon receipt of information of the Commission of a cognizable offence irrespective of territorial jurisdiction. If it is found that case relates to the jurisdiction of some other police station, the FIR may appropriately be transferred to the police station in which the case falls.
22. Monetary allowances attached with the President's Police Medal for Gallantry and the Police Medal for Gallantry has been enhanced from Rs.1500 to Rs.3000 and from Rs.900 to Rs.2000 per month respectively, which is effective from 10th May, 2013.
23. For creation of National Population Register, Data Entry (in English and the Regional language) has been completed for more than 117.40 crore persons, adding 0.07 crore persons during the month. The Capture of biometrics, using UIDAI enrolment software has been done for more than 15.25 crore persons, adding 1.26 crore persons during the month.