Following a review of current protocol practice, The President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee has formally approved the following changes for implementation with immediate effect:
1. Use of the words 'His Excellency' will be discontinued while organizing functions within the country and during interaction between Indian dignitaries and the President.
2. In Hindi, Rashtrapati Mahodaya should be used in place of "Mahamahim during such occasions.
3. The word "Hon'ble" will be used before the title of 'President' or 'Governor'. The traditional Indian greeting of "Shri" or "Smt." should precede the name.
4. "Excellency" will be used only for interaction of leaders with foreign dignitaries and foreign dignitaries with our leaders as is customary international practice.
5. It has also been decided that the word Rashtrapatiji will replace "Mahamahim in official notings in the President's Secretariat.
As per past practice, above decisions have been conveyed to the Ministry of Home Affairs for further action.
Taking into account inconvenience caused to public during his movement within the city and in order to reduce the burden on police and other agencies, The President has instructed that, to the best extent possible, all functions be organized within Rashtrapati Bhavan premises itself. (ANI)