NHRC seeks report from UP govt, police on two rape cases

Last Updated: Tue, Apr 23, 2013 10:02 hrs

New Delhi: Angered at the "utter insensitivity" shown by police while dealing with two sexual assault victims, including locking up a minor rape victim, the National Human Rights Commission today sought separate reports from Uttar Pradesh government and police in the two incidents.

The Commission took suo motu cognisance of media reports about two incidents reported from Bijnor and Bulandshahr, a statement said.

"The NHRC took suo motu cognisance of two media reports alleging ill treatment by the UP Police to two alleged victims of sexual assault in separate incidents in Bijnor and Bulandshahar. Notices have been issued to the State Chief Secretary and DGP calling for reports in both the incidents.

"The Commission has expressed concern over the utter insensitivity on part of police officials. In the matter pertaining to District Bijnor, it has given four weeks time to respond to the concerned authorities and two weeks time in the matter concerning Bulandshahar," the statement said.

In the incident reported from Bijnor, a 16-year-old gangrape victim was beaten up allegedly by a lady constable at the behest of Sub-Inspector of Afzalgarh Police Station, the NHRC said quoting media reports.

"The victim had gone to police station on April 12 along with her parents for lodging a complaint against two youths who had allegedly raped her. The victim and her parents had been trying to get the complaint registered but to no avail," it said.

In the other case from Bulandshahar, a 10 year-old Dalit girl -- allegedly a victim of sexual assault -- was taken to the Kotwali Nagar Police Station where a complaint was lodged against the fellow villager Harendra.

"After medical examination, the girl and her mother were sent to all Women Police Station, where the girl was put in the lockup on April seven night and was released only after 20 hours on the intervention of SSP when he was approached by a TV journalist.

"The victim remained unattended as all the officers went to attend SSPs monthly crime meeting," the statement said.

More from Sify: