Web Sify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

No deaths reported after explosive device thrown at UN convoy

Source : IBNS
Last Updated: Wed, Apr 11, 2012 12:12 hrs

No one was hurt on Tuesday when an explosive device was thrown at a United Nations convoy travelling through the Libyan city of Benghazi, a spokesperson for the world body said.

The incident happened around 2:30 p.m. local time, according to Hua Jiang, spokesperson for the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL).

The convoy was carrying the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and head of UNSMIL, Ian Martin, who was in Benghazi for various engagements.

"Luckily nobody was hurt but the SRSG cut short his visit and has returned to Tripoli," Jiang told UN Radio.



She added that it is not known who the perpetrators were.

"The matter now is handled by the local authorities. As far as we understand, an investigation has been launched," said Jiang.

Among Martin's activities in Benghazi was an address at the University of Benghazi, where he spoke about issues related to UN assistance to Libya in its democratic transition, including the electoral process, public security and human rights.

UNSMIL was established by the UN Security Council last year to assist the North African nation in its post-conflict efforts following the toppling of the regime of Muammar Al-Gaddafi.

More from Sify:
blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news