New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) The Government Monday said it had not violated the election code of conduct on the direct cash transfer scheme and was implementing a scheme announced by former finance minister Pranab Mukherjee in his budget speech.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal said the direct cash transfer was the "implementation of an announcement that has already been made".
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said: "I think the issue of cash transfers was dealt in the budget speech of former finance minister Pranab Mukherjee in March this year and the government had given a press release on Sep 28," Tewari told reporters here.
"If the Election Commission has asked the government for a clarification or explanation, I am sure that the appropriate part of the government would provide that information to the Election Commission," Tewari said.
The minister took potshots at the BJP and asked: "Do they want that money of the people should go directly to the people or they do not want the money of the people to go to them?"
The BJP had complained to the poll panel last week that the direct cash transfer scheme was announced ahead of the Gujarat assembly polls Dec 13 and 17 to gain undue advantage. The poll panel asked Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth to respond by Monday evening to the BJP's complaint.
The Congress had hailed the scheme as a "game changer".
Officials said the Election Commission would take an early decision on the communication from the government.