One killed, 14 injured in Kashmir clash

Last Updated: Sat, Sep 18, 2010 07:00 hrs

At least one person was killed and fourteen others were injured on Saturday, as security forces opened fire on stone-pelting protestors participating in a funeral procession in defiance of a curfew in Anantnag.

Residents of Nathpora in Khanabal and adjoining areas were accompanying the body of a 10-year-old boy, who had gone missing since Monday, and was recovered from the River Jhelum.

Residents raised slogans while a section of the crowd started throwing stones at security personnel.

Security personnel first lobbed tear smoke shells and then fired shots at the protestors, resulting in injuries to at least 15 people. One of the injured died later.

On Friday, one person was killed and five persons were injured at Churpora village of Beerwah in Budgam District.

One of the critically injured was rushed to the SKIMS Medical College Hospital at Bemina where he was declared brought dead by doctors.

Meanwhile, curfew is being strictly enforced across the Kashmir Valley.

Heavy contingents of police and the CRPF have been deployed. All main roads have been sealed with barbed wire.

Police and CRPF vehicles have been placed at major entry and exit points.

On Wednesday, three people were killed and 20 were injured in Mendhar when protests against the report of Quran being burnt was shown on an Iran news channel provoking violent protests.

The police had to open fire to control them

Eighteen protesters demonstrating against the burning of Quran and a police officer were killed in street battles.

Authorities have slapped a round-the-clock curfew in the region and also threatened to shoot violators on sight.

The recent eruption of violence has left the government searching for a new strategy for dealing with the protests.

At least 93 people have died in the last three months. The Kashmir Valley has also been subjected to a series of shutdowns and frequent curfews during this period. (ANI)

More from Sify: