Over 200 workers in hospital after food poisoning

Last Updated: Sat, Oct 02, 2010 17:00 hrs

Raipur, Oct 2 (IANS) Over 200 workers associated with a road construction firm fell ill Saturday after eating at the company canteen and were taken to a government hospital here, officials said.

'Some 1,000 male and female workers had eaten at the canteen of the company at Mandir Hasod area on outskirts of Raipur and most of them starting vomiting afterwards. Over 200 people have been brought to Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar Government Hospital here with up to 30 of them are in critical condition,' health officials here told IANS.

Doctors of the Ambedkar hospital, which is the biggest hospital in the state, said that the preliminary check ups suggested that the case was linked to food poisoning.

Chief Minister Raman Singh has asked District Collector Rohit Yadav to personally monitor the situation and senior health officials were asked to ensure that best medical treatment be given to the workers.