Pak soldier allegedly admits to killing Kargil martyr Captain Kalia in video clip

Last Updated: Wed, Jul 31, 2013 18:59 hrs

Kargil martyr Captain Saurabh Kalia's father N.K. Kalia on Wednesday said Islamabad's web of lies has been exposed following the admission of a Pakistani soldier on camera that they killed him during the war in 1999.

"A Pakistan soldier has admitted on camera that they killed him. Now, Pakistan's web of lies has been exposed. Their (Pakistan) President and the administration kept on telling lies till date that they did not know as to what happened with Saurabh and that this is an agenda of the Indian Government against Pakistan. But now he has openly admitted," he said.

He further said that he would show this video to his advocate Arvind Sharma and eventually move the Supreme Court placing the video footage as a proof sufficient enough to nail the lies of Pakistan.

"We can only appeal, but the future course of action will be taken by the Indian Government," he added.

A video taken during a Pakistani army function reportedly shows a soldier Gule Khandan bragging how they killed Captain Kalia and five other Indian soldiers. This video has been uploaded on You Tube.

Pakistan has always maintained that Captain Kalia was not murdered by its army and that they found their dead bodies lying in a pit.

India has always maintained that Captain Kalia and other soldiers were captured by Pakistan and allegedly tortured brutally during the Kargil war in 1999.

On May 15, 1999 Saurabh Kalia along with five soldiers - Sepoys Arjun Ram, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria, Bhika Ram, Moola Ram and Naresh Singh[7] of the 4 Jat Regiment had gone for a routine patrol of the Bajrang Post in the Kaksar sector in the rugged, treeless Ladakh mountains.

After a continuous cross fire with Pakistan armed forces from across the Line of Control (LoC), he and his troops ran out of ammunition. They were finally encircled by a platoon of Pakistan rangers and captured alive before any Indian reinforcement could reach for their help.

He along with five other soldiers of his patrolling team was captured alive and kept in captivity where they were tortured and their bodies mutilated

Captain Kalia and his men were in captivity for over twenty-two (May 15, 1999 - June 7, 1999) days and subjected to torture as evident from their bodies handed over by Pakistan Army on June 9, 1999. The post-mortem revealed that the Pakistan army had tortured the prisoners by burning their bodies with cigarettes, piercing ear-drums with hot rods, puncturing eyes before removing them, breaking most of the teeth and bones, fractures of the skull, cutting the lips, chipping of nose, chopping off limbs and private organs of these soldiers besides inflicting all sorts of physical and mental tortures and finally shooting them dead, as evidenced by the bullet wound to the temple.

On June 15, 1999, the Deputy High Commissioner of the Pakistani Embassy in New Delhi was summoned and a notice for the breach of the Geneva Convention was submitted for the torture and killing of the Prisoners of War during the Kargil war. The then External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh raised the issue, but Pakistan continued to deny the charges of torture.

More from Sify: