Pakistani militant nabbed in Srinagar attack?

Last Updated: Fri, Mar 15, 2013 08:56 hrs

Srinagar: A suspected Pakistani militant has been arrested by police in Jammu and Kashmir in connection with the suicide attack on a CRPF camp that that killed five jawans on Wednesday, media reports said Thursday.

The militant, identified as Talha - a resident of Multan in Pakistan, was arrested from Chattabal area of Srinagar, NDTV reported citing unnamed sources.

The man is suspected to be one of the two militants who had escaped while two of their fellow militants were killed in the suicide attack.

Pakistan had earlier slammed the Indian government for the accusations that the two terrorists responsible for the suicide attack were Pakistani men.

Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday said the militants, who attacked a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in Srinagar's Benima area on Wednesday killing at least five jawans, appeared to be of Pakistani origin.

"There was terrorism attack in Srinagar yesterday. The fidayeen attack happened yesterday at 10.50 am," Shinde said while making a statement in the Lok Sabha amid ruckus by the opposition parties over the issue of suicide attack in Srinagar.

"The tube recovered was manufactured at a factory in Karachi. The terrorists appear to be from outside. Terrorists had diaries on them with telephone numbers that are suspected to be Pakistani," he said.

Shinde said weapons recovered from the militants were 'made in Karachi'.

Banned Pakistan-occupied Kashmir-based terrorist organisation Hizbul Mujahideen on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the suicide attack.

Five CRPF jawans were killed and 12 others, including four civillians, were injured as militants stormed into a camp of the forces in Srinagar's Benima area on Wednesday morning.

The two militants, who were dressed in cricket uniforms, were killed.

The militants threw grenades and fired indiscriminately after attacking the camp.

Interrogation of local guide led to Pak militant's arrest

A diary recovered from the slain militants in the Bemina suicide attack has led to the arrest of a man, who had allegedly acted as a guide for the Pakistani militants to enter the city to carry out the attack.

Bashir Ahmad Mir was picked up by Special Operations Group of police hours after the attack on the CRPF camp at Bemina that left five jawans dead and several others injured.

Mir was taken into custody by the cops after tracking down his mobile number which was listed in the diary of the slain militants, intelligence sources said.

They said that Mir, a resident of Uri town along the Line of Control in Baramulla district, had guided the militants from the border town to the city.

Mir's questioning had led the investigators to the arrest of a Pakistani militant, involved in the attack, from Chattabal area of the city on Thursday.

Based on disclosures made by Mir, a team of SOG sleuths has been rushed to Uri town and more arrests are likely, the sources said.

Police has set up special nakas to keep a check on people leaving and entering Uri, they added.

Police officials, however, are tight lipped about the developments of the case.

More from Sify: