Police crack down on IAC activists at Hooda's house

Last Updated: Sun, Oct 21, 2012 17:32 hrs

New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) Several India Against Corruption (IAC) supporters were beaten up by police Sunday while they were protesting outside Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda's official residence here Sunday, claimed activist Arvind Kejriwal.

"Police lathi-charged IAC supporters who were holding a peaceful protest outside the Haryana chief minister's residence. Several people suffered injuries," Kejriwal told reporters at a press conference in Ghaziabad after the protest. "Police atrocities on peaceful protestors is condemnable," he said.

However, high drama was created when former IAC members, including Annie Kohli, 55, confronted Kejriwal at the press conference by questioning his style of functioning.

"When you ask questions from others, why can't they question you?" Kohli asked Kejriwal.

She alleged that Kejriwal has changed his agenda from his earlier protests last year, demanding a Janlokpal bill.

"Kejriwal should clear his stand whether he is a revolutionary or a politician," Kohli said, adding that her group would protest against Kejriwal at Jantar Mantar here.

A surprised Kejriwal heard Kohli and walked away without replying.

Later, he said: "I haven't met Annie in the past. I think she was sent by somebody."

Earlier, over a hundred IAC supporters gathered outside Hooda's residence at Pandit Pant Marg in central Delhi Sunday afternoon to protest the Haryana government allegedly favouring and facilitating land deals between Robert Vadra, son-in-law of Congress president Sonia Gandhi, and realty major DLF.

"We wanted to meet the Haryana chief minister. We were marching on the street when police used tear gas shells, water canons and batons against us," claimed Naveen Jaihind, IAC member from Haryana.

Over 70 protestors were injured in the police cane charge, claimed Jaihind.

Police denied the charge. "No batons were used on them," a senior police officer said.

"Around six protestors suffered with minor injuries. They refused to undergo a medical examination when taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. Police personnel also got injured," he said.

Police detained the IAC supporters and took them to Parliament Street police station in Delhi.

More from Sify: