Rape protest in Delhi turns unruly

Last Updated: Sun, Dec 30, 2012 10:19 hrs

The continuing protest against the Delhi gangrape and death of the 23-year-old paramedical student turned unruly once again on Sunday when a group of protesters allegedly from a political party tried to beak through the police barricade at Jantar Mantar, the venue of the agitation now.

On a day the girl´s body was brought from Singapore and cremated away from media glare under the guidance of Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the protesters braving Delhi winter continued with their agitation.

But the political parties tried to hijack the stir from the common people and infiltrate the area where the protest was peaceful since Saturday morning when the news of the death of the girl was broken in the morning.

Reports said some protesters pelted stones at the cops and Rapid Action Force (RAF) was called to control the situation.

However, the majority of protesters in New Delhi remained the common people comprising students and men and women angry at the insecurity of women across the national capital as well as the country.

Delhi Police earlier again closed down 10 metro stations closed Sunday and Section 144 was kept clamped in some New Delhi areas in an effort to stop anti-rape protesters from reaching India Gate and Raisina Hill.

Later reports said five stations were reopened.

The outer ring road around India Gate, which was opened for traffic this morning, has also been closed.

The metro stations that are closed on Sunday include Rajiv Chowk, Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhawan, Race Course, Jor Bagh, Pragati Maidan, Mandi House, Barakhamba Road and Khan Market.

However, a report quoting metro officials said inter-change facility will be allowed at Rajiv Chowk and Central Secretariat stations.

The body of the 23-year-old victim of the brutal Delhi gang rape was cremated within hours of its landing in the national capital on Sunday.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi received the body and the victims´s family members, who were on the same flight, at Delhi airport.

The special flight from Singapore landed here around 4.15am and the victim´s body was taken to her residence before being cremated.

Media was not allowed in the crematorium.

Amid all the hue and cry over the Delhi gangrape, attacks on women continued in the national capital and India at large.

A woman was allegedly molested again on a bus in Delhi on Saturday night.

The police arrested one person and dismissed the driver and the conductor of the bus, reports said.

In an incident in Mumbai, a 29-year-old woman was allegedly groped at Juhu beach on Saturday after sundown while she was there for a walk with her husband.

But the most horrific incident was reported from West Bengal in which a 45-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped and killed by a group of six men who also forced down acid through her husband´s throat.

Reports said the woman and her husband were returning home from a brick kiln in Barasat in North 24 Parganas district near Kolkata, where they used to work, when six men attacked them midway.

The men started harassing the woman and when her husband tried to prevent it, they attacked him with acid. They forced down acid through his throat.

As the man ran for help in pain, the woman was attacked by the men. She was later found in a pond dead.

More from Sify: