Rapes happen all over India: Sushilkumar Shinde

Last Updated: Mon, Apr 22, 2013 15:58 hrs

Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday made a statement in both the Houses of Parliament on the gruesome rape of a five-year-old Delhi girl in New Delhi where he said that rapes were happening not only in the national capital but everywhere in the country.

Making a suo motu statement in the Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha, Shinde said: "On 15th April, 2013 a five year old girl child was reported missing at Police Stationi-Gandhinagar in East District. A case FIR No. 146/13 was registered u/s 363 IPC the same evening at 10 pm."

Giving details of the incident, he said: "The Police started searching and conducting raids in the East District area. In the early hours of 17th April 2013 As mother of the girl heard the weeping sound of the child on the ground floor of the same house where her parents lived on the first floor. The ground floor was found locked from outside. The Police was then informed."

Shinde said the police 'broke open the door' and recovered the child.

"The girl was rushed to Swami Dayanand Hospital, which was the nearest hospital, where the Medico Legal Case (MLC) examination was conducted. The preliminary MLC confirms sexual assault of the brutal hind. Accordingly, Seaton 342, 366A, 376A, 307 IPC and 5(M), 6 POCSO (Protection at Children from Sexual Offences) Act were added in the FIR," he said.

Shinde said: "Her condition was reported to be stable after an operation conducted in Swami Dayanand Hospital on 18th April, 2013. She was later shifted to AIIMS in the evening of 19th April, 2013 for better treatment where she has undergone another operation and presently her condition was reported to be stable."

Speaking on the suspension of a Delhi Police Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) who thrashed a woman protester last week, the Home Minister said: "In the meantime, on 19th April, 2013 some protesters were holding demonstration at the Dayanand Hospital where the Minister concerned of Delhi Government was visiting to enquire about the health of the child alongwith the local MP."

"Few protesters tried to break through the police cordon around the hospital in order to enter the premises.One ACP rank officer was seen on camera slapping one of the lady protesters -The said ACP Shri BS Ahlawat has been placed under suspension with immediate effect. A Departmental Enquiry shall be conducted by an Officer to be appointed by the GNCT of Delhi," Shinde said.

"Taking further note of the lapses in the investigation, the SHO and the IO have been placed under suspension. The Joint CP (Vigilance) has been asked to conduct an enquiry. The Jt CP Vigilance shall also enquire into the allegation that the local police paid some money to the father of the victim to hush up the case," he said.

Speaking on the rape incident, Shinde said: "Such incidents have been reported from other parts of the country also."

Amid protests against the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl in New Delhi, the Rajya Sabha on the same day discussed the issue of security for women.

During the discussion, Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati urged political parties to rise above politics and take steps to stop the 'menace'.

"We passed a tough anti-rape law in the first half of the Budget Session. We need to further amend the law and make it more strong," the former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister said.

"There should be death sentence to the accused in such cases. Only death punishment can deter them," she said.

Meanwhile, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar on Monday ruled out his resignation over the Delhi child rape case.

"I am willing to resign 1000 times, if that will help. But it will not address the problem," Kumar told media during a press conference here.

He said the ACP, who was caught on camera thrashing a woman protester, will be subject to a departmental inquiry.

"I lost no time in suspending the officer. He will be subject to a departmental inquiry," Kumar said.

ACP Bani Singh Ahlawat was suspended last week after he was caught on camera hitting a woman protester while she was demonstrating against the five-year-old girl here.

Protesters, however, continued to demonstrate against the brutal rape incident in the national capital for the fourth day on Monday.

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) activists demonstrated outside the Delhi Police headquarters and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, where the victim is undergoing treatment.

Women's groups held a protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.

Demanding the resignation of Delhi Chief Minsiter Shiela Dikshit and Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) supporters led by Delhi unit chief Vijay Goel protested against the brutal incident and staged a sit in protest close to the barricade set-up near the Parliament Gate here, reports said.

The police later detained Goel and his supporters.

Meanwhile, a second man has been arrested in connection to the gruesome rape of the five-year-old girl even as doctors treating the victim said that she was in "stable" condition after undergoing surgery, reports said on Monday.

The second accused, identified as Pradip, was arrested from Barhaya in Lakhisarai district of Bihar in a joint operation by the Delhi and Bihar police.

The police conducted the joint operation after the key accused Manoj Kumar allegedly told them that he had an aide in the crime.

The Delhi Police will request a Lakhisarai court to allow them to bring Pradeep to the national capital.

Media reports citing sources also said that the two accused will be made to confront with each other in Delhi.

The five-year-old girl had been kidnapped on Apr 15 while she was playing outside her home, and was kept captive in the basement of the same building.

She was rescued as neighbours heard her cries after being kidnapped, tied to a bed, starved and brutally violated with pieces of a candle and a bottle for two days.

The family of the victim allegedly faced harassment by the police when they tried filing a complaint and one officer even offered a Rs 2,000 bribe to not take the incident public.

The incident brought back memories of last December when a 23-year-old medical student was gang-raped on a moving bus in Delhi and died from her gruesome injuries.

The incident that had once again spotlighted lapses in security measures for preventing crimes against women putting the government in a tight spot, had flared an unprecedented public outcry across India.

More from Sify: