WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Sanjay Dutt fears threat to life, wants to surrender before jail

Source : PTI
Last Updated: Tue, May 14, 2013 14:20 hrs
Have not applied for pardon: Sanjay Dutt

Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in the 1993 bomb blasts case, on Tuesday told a TADA court that he was facing threat to life from fundamentalist groups and hence should be allowed to surrender before Yerwada jail instead of the special court here.

Dutt filed an application before special TADA Judge G A Sanap seeking permission to surrender before the Yerwada jail in Pune instead of giving himself up before the special court in south Mumbai.

Dutt, whose conviction under the Arms Act was upheld by the Supreme Court recently, is supposed to surrender on May 16. However, the apex court had reduced to five years the six-year jail term awarded to Dutt by a designated TADA court in 2006 while ruling out his release on probation, saying the "nature" of his offence was "serious".

"The applicant (Dutt) is facing threat to life from fundamentalist groups and those with vested interests," the application said.

It further claimed that the actor wanted to avoid a situation of the past when media persons and camera persons had chased his vehicle from Mumbai to Pune last time he was taken to jail after the TADA court convicted him.

"The media vehicles had chased the applicant's vehicle for 120 kilometres in the past," the application said.

Judge Sanap today asked the prosecuting agency CBI to file a reply and posted the hearing on Dutt's plea tomorrow. Public prosecutor Deepak Salvi appeared for the Government and CBI.

Dutt filed the application in the TADA court, hours after the Supreme Court refused to grant the actor additional time to surrender for undergoing the remaining 42 months jail term in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.

The apex court was hearing a petition filed by a film producer, who sought time for Dutt to complete his under-production films.

SC refuses to give time to Sanjay Dutt to surrender

The Supreme Court today refused to grant more time to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt to surrender to undergo remaining three-and-a-half-year jail term in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.

A bench of justices B S Chauhan and Dipak Misra refused to hear the plea of a film producer, who sought more time for Dutt to surrender in order to complete two films which are under production.

Dutt, who was convicted under the Arms Act and was sentenced to five year jail term, is supposed to surrender before jail authorities on May 16 to undergo his remaining jail term. He has already undergone one-and-a-half-year jail term.

Earlier on May 10, the apex court had dismissed Dutt's plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and five-year jail term.

53-year-old Dutt was earlier granted four weeks more time to surrender to undergo the remaining jail term.

The apex court had on March 21 upheld his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case which it said was organised by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and others with the involvement of Pakistan's ISI.

However, the apex court had reduced to five years the six-year jail term awarded to Dutt by a designated TADA court in 2006 and ruled out his release on probation, saying the "nature" of his offence was "serious".

Dutt was convicted by the TADA court for illegally possessing a 9 mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle which were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993.




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news