WebSify
Follow us on
Mail
Print

Sanjay Dutt is innocent, says Jaya Prada

Source : ANI
Last Updated: Thu, Mar 21, 2013 08:40 hrs

Actor-turned-politician Jaya Prada on Thursday said she is heart broken at the news of Sanjay Dutt's jail term pronounced by the Supreme Court and called him an innocent person who had been caught wrongly.

The apex court upheld the conviction of Sanjay Dutt and sentenced him to five years in jail in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.

"He is innocent person. It is very unfortunate. Knowingly or unknowingly, it has been written in his fate that he has to struggle like this. Particularly for Sanjay Dutt, if you see the background of his family and all. His father Sunil Dutt served a lot for the country, and even in politics he had very good name. And knowing his nature and character as great father, and his son, he also innocently may be has done something," she said.

"I bow to the court's decision, but Sanjay Dutt is very close to my heart. We worked together in so many films. Today, is a very sad day for me," she added.

The apex court said it agreed with Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act (TADA) court's decision to acquit Dutt from terror charges but offences under Arms Act were clearly made out for possessing and later destroying weapons of prohibited calibre.

Dutt, who has already served nearly 18 months in jail, will now have to go to jail and serve the remaining part of his sentence.

The apex court has given Dutt a month to surrender.

Earlier, Dutt, the son of late actor and Congress politician Sunil Dutt, was sentenced to a jail term of six years for illegal possession of firearms acquired from terrorist acquaintances, who were responsible for the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts on July 31, 2007.

He was granted bail by the apex court on November 27, 2007.

The apex court has upheld the death sentence of Yakub Abdul Razzak Memon in the serial blasts case.

The apex court has said Yakub, younger brother of Tiger Memon, was the mastermind of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts

The Supreme Court also reduced the death sentence of 10 other accused to life imprisonment considering the fact that they have spent 20 years in jail. It also upheld life sentences awarded to 17 others.

A total of 257 persons were killed and 713 others injured when a series 13 coordinated explosions shattered the metropolis on March 12, 1993.

The blasts occurred at 12 places, including Bombay Stock Exchange building, Air-India Building at Nariman Point, at Worli opposite Century Bazaar, Hotels Sea Rock and Juhu Centaur. (ANI)




blog comments powered by Disqus
most popular on facebook
talking point on sify news