Lahore/Islamabad: Pakistan on Thurday said the body of Indian death row convict Sarabjit Singh, who died in a Lahore hospital after a brutal assault in jail, will be handed over to Indian authorities after "the early completion of all formalities".
The Pakistan government will continue to facilitate the "early completion of all formalities and hand over the mortal remains of the prisoner to the Indian High Commission at the earliest possible", said a statement from the Pakistan Foreign Office.
The body of 49-year-old Sarabjit was moved to the mortuary of Jinnah Hospital in Lahore shortly after he died of cardiac arrest at around 1am. (1:30am IST)
He had been comatose since Friday, when he was attacked by six other prisoners within his barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The Foreign Office said the Pakistan government had been providing "all assistance to the family of Sarabjit Singh as well as to the Indian authorities since the occurrence of this unfortunate incident".
The statement said Sarabjit had died of cardiac arrest despite being "provided the best treatment available" and the staff of Jinnah Hospital working round the clock to save his life.
Pakistan's foreign secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani was quoted by the media as saying that the body would be "expeditiously" handed over to India after completing necessary formalities.
Official sources in Islamabad and Lahore said an autopsy and other formalities will have to be completed before handing over the body. A medical board will oversee the autopsy.
The Indian High Commission was in touch with both the federal and Punjab governments on the issue, the sources said.
Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal, who is in Lahore, is expected to meet Punjab caretaker chief minister Najam Sethi this afternoon.
Sarabjit sustained severe injuries when at least six prisoners attacked him in a barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday, hitting him on the head with bricks.
In New Delhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed sadness over Sarabjit's death, saying criminals responsible for the barbaric and murderous attack on the Indian national must be brought to justice.
Sarabjit was convicted of alleged involvement in a string of bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990 and spent about 22 years in Pakistani prisons.
His family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
Sarabjit's mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf.
The previous Pakistan People's Party-led government put off Sarabjit's execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
The official sources in Lahore had yesterday said Sarabjit had slipped into a "non-reversible" coma and this could lead to "brain death".
His measurements on the Glasgow Coma Scale, which indicates the levels of consciousness and damage to a person's central nervous system, had dropped to a "critical level", the sources said.
Police have booked two death row prisoners, Amer Aftab and Mudassar, for the attack on Sarabjit. They reportedly told investigators that they had attacked Sarabjit because he had allegedly carried out bomb attacks in Lahore.
No action has been taken so far against officials of the jail for failing to provide adequate security to Sarabjit.
Following the rapid deterioration in Sarabjit's condition, New Delhi had requested that he be immediately released so that he could be treated in India or a third country.
He said he has forwarded the demands to the Union home ministry and is in touch with the Central leaders, including home minister Sushilkumar Shinde himself.