New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday is expected to deliver its verdict on admitting two petitions which seek a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) investigation against Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the 2G telecom scam.
A bench of Justice G S Singhvi and Justice K S Radhakrishnan will decide whether the petitions filed by Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy and an NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL) are maintainable or not.
The petitions seek that the minister be probed for his alleged role in the telecom swindle, allegedly masterminded by former telecoms minister A Raja, where mobile airwaves and licenses were sold to carriers in a biased way in lieu of kickbacks.
Swamy's petition, that had been turned down in February by a special CBI court, says that Chidambaram must be held responsible for allowing the telecom scam, that allegedly lost the treasury as much as Rs 1.76 lakh crore, on his watch as Finance Minister.
The application filed by former Supreme Court advocate Prashant Bhushan on behalf of CPIL says that a "thorough investigation" is required to probe the role of Chidambaram in the scandal who allegedly overruled his officers who favoured a fairer allocation process.
Finance Minister Chidambaram, who was also held the post at the time of the 2008 allocation process -- which was declared invalid by the Supreme Court earlier this year -- denies all charges.