New Delhi, Feb 11 (IBNS) Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday presented the Monthly Report Card of his ministry for January.
Following is the statement made by Shinde in his monthly press conference held in New Delhi:
"47 cadres including 4 women cadres of UPPK, earlier known as PREPAK-SHANTI faction, a valley based insurgent group (VBIG) of Manipur, gave up arms before the Manipur Police and Assam Rifles at the border town of Moreh in Manipur. They deposited 37 weapons along with some RDX. The Ministry of Home Affairs facilitated their extrication from Myanmar. This is the first major VBIG, to give up arms, and it is a welcome development.
2. The proposal for continuation of the Scheme for Modernization of State Police Forces (MPF Scheme), for a provision of Rs. 12,378 crore for five years from 2012-13 to 2016-17, has been approved by the Cabinet on 7th February 2013. It includes a provision of Rs.8628 crore under Non-Plan (including Rs.432 crore for Mega City Policing) and Rs. 3750 crore under Plan.
3. Government has promulgated the Criminal Law (Amendment), Ordinance 2013 on 3rd February 2013 to provide stringent punishment including death penalty to the convicts of sexual assault.
4. On 28-29th January, I met Dr. Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir, Home Minister of Bangladesh at Dhaka. We signed the Extradition Treaty and the Revised Travel Arrangements between India and Bangladesh which will ensure cooperation among law enforcing agencies of the two countries, curb criminal activities, ease visa procedures and promote people-to-people exchange.
5. We agreed for taking up the development work within 150 yards of zero line and regular interaction on the both sides of the Borders. The consultations between the District Commissioners and District Magistrates of border districts for resolving local issues have started. It is my belief that regular exchanges at various levels would enhance understanding and resolve issues mutually.
6. On 10th January, 2013, Mr. Jason Kenney, Hon'ble Immigration Minister of Canada met me in New Delhi and discussed bilateral security matters of mutual interest.
7. On the recommendations of the Governor of Jharkhand, the Union Cabinet, in its meeting held on 17.01.2013, approved the proposal to issue a Proclamation imposing President's Rule in the State of Jharkhand under Article 356(1) of the Constitution of India, keeping the State Legislative Assembly under suspended animation. The President has approved the Proclamation on 18th January 2013.
8. The President of India assented to the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act 2012 on 3rd January 2013. The Act increases the period of declaration of an association as unlawful from 2 to 5 years. The damage to the monetary stability of India by way of production or smuggling or circulation of high quality Indian paper currency, coin or any other material has been declared as terrorist activity.
9. On 22nd January2013, the court of First Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge, Hyderabad has been notified as the National Investigation Agency, which will be presided over by Hon'ble Justice G. Laxmipathi.
10. On 24th January, 2013 the Cabinet approved the proposal for modification of the norms of the Scheme Special Industry Initiatives, 'Udaan' to make it more flexible and relevant.
11. The cash relief to eligible Kashmiri migrants staying in Jammu and Delhi was enhanced from Rs. 1250/- per head per month (maximum of Rs. 5000/- per family) to Rs. 1650/- per head per month (maximum of Rs. 6600/- per family) retrospectively from 1st July, 2012.
12. An amount of Rs103 crore has been sanctioned to the CAPFs for acquisition of land and an amount of Rs.57.5 crore has been sanctioned to them for construction of office/residential buildings.
13. Two Meetings of the Review Group on Left Wing Extremism (LWE) under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary were held on 28th January, 2013 regarding the security and development related issues respectively in the LWE Affected States.
14. During January 2013, the Integrated Online Visa application system under the IVFRT has been operationalized in Indian Missions at Dublin (Ireland) and Reykjavik (Iceland). This facility is now operational at 103 Indian Missions abroad.
15. The President of India has approved 108 Padma Awards, which includes 4 Padma Vibhushan, 24 Padma Bhushan and 80 Padma Shri Awards.
16. 875 Police Medals were announced on the occasion of Republic Day 2013 which includes one President's Police Medal for Gallantry, 115 Police Medal for Gallantry, 88 President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service and 671 Police Medal for Meritorious Service.
17. Recommendations for 50 Jeevan Raksha Padak Series of Awards including 3 Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak, 10 Uttam Jeevan Raksha Padak and 37 Jeevan Raksha Padak were notified on 26th January, 2013.
18. 37 Correctional Service Medals were awarded on the Republic Day, 2013, which includes 5 President's Correctional Service Medals for Distinguished Service, 29 Correctional Service Medals for Meritorious Service and 3 President's Correctional Service Medal for Gallantry.
19. A Pilot launch of Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and System (CCTNS) was launched on 4th January 2013. The Pilot launch earmarked connectivity of nearly 2000 locations in 25 States/UTs. After the Central Pilot launch, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Kerala, Sikkim, Odisha, Haryana, Tripura, Mizoram, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, D & N Haveli Daman & Diu and NCT Delhi have also launched the project during this month.
20. Along the Indo-Bangladesh Border, 3 Border Out Posts (BOPs) were completed during the month of January, 2013.
21. Government has sanctioned 27 ITBP priority roads along Indo-China border totaling 805 Km. The cumulative works completed is 562.66 Km formation and 248.93 Km surfacing.
22. Land identification of 118 out of 131 Coastal Police Stations under Coastal Security Scheme has been finalized and land acquisition process in 74 cases has been initiated by January, 2013. Land for 36 Jetties have also been identified by the Coastal States/UTs.
23. Out of the total outlay of Rs.990 crore, earmarked in the budget of 2012-13 under BADP, an amount of Rs.844 crore (85.26%) has been released to 17 BADP States as on date.
24. The Capture of biometrics for creation of National Population Register (NPR), using UIDAI enrolment software, is in progress in the States of Manipur, Nagaland, NCT of Delhi, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and West Bengal. As on date, biometrics has been captured for more than 10.19 crore persons, adding 1.16 crore persons during the month. Data Entry has been completed for more than 111 crore persons, adding 6 crore during the month. Under the coastal NPR, more than 61.15 lakh cards have been produced, so far."