Shinde terms attack on Lt. Gen. Brar a terrorist attack

Last Updated: Sun, Oct 07, 2012 18:35 hrs

Attari: Terming the attack on former army Lt. Gen. K.S. Brar in London as a terrorist attack, Union Home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Sunday said the government is determining whether it is possible to extradite the attackers to India.

"Unfortunately, (Lt. Gen.) Brar was attacked, and I did'nt want to say which agency has done it or not, but this increase of terrorism, I condemn it."

On the issue of extraditing the attackers to India, he said the matter is under the consideration of the government.

Shinde was interacting with the media at the Integrated Check Post (ICP), where he was visiting on his way to Delhi.

Commenting on a reported move by the Punjab Congress to erect a Martyrs Memorial at the Golden Temple complex and whether it might revive terrorism in Punjab, Shinde said: "I don't know whether they are reviving terrorism or not. If so, they should introspect themselves".

On media reports of Chinese military troops entering Indian territory, Shinde said: "At the moment, there is no infiltration".

He said that he had gone right up to the Pangong Lake and seen the Chinese points there. He said that the Indian security forces have always been alert to suspect intrusions from the Chinese side.

Lt. Gen. Brar was stabbed in an attack by four unidentified men in Old Quebec Street, near Oxford Street last Sunday.

Following the attack, Brar was taken to hospital with a neck wound and has since been discharged.

Brar, who had led 'Operation Blue Star' in 1984 was on a private visit here when he was attacked by four men, suspected to be Khalistan sympathisers. He suffered a wound on his neck and cheek but his wife was not injured in the attack. The four men who attacked Brar were described as being of Asian appearance, all with long beards, and were wearing dark clothing and long black jacket.

Brar has since left London and is in Mumbai. Counter terrorism officers had on Friday arrested eight people in connection with the attempted murder case.

Barring three men, Scotland Yard on Saturday released the remaining nine persons, including two women, on bail.

Scotland Yard in a statement said "three men - aged 33, 34 and 25 - remain in custody. The remaining nine are now bailed to return in November pending further inquiries".

Three others who were arrested on suspicion of immigration law violations were referred to the UK Border Agency, the statement said. By Ravinder Singh Robin

More from Sify: