Singapore hospital treats critical Delhi girl

Last Updated: Thu, Dec 27, 2012 09:25 hrs

Singapore/New Delhi, Dec 27 (IBNS): The 23-year-old Delhi gang rape victim who was Wednesday night taken to Singapore by an air ambulance for admission in a hospital with superior kidney transplant facility has been admitted there and she is stable but very critical, sources said on Thursday.

The girl has been admitted to the ICU of Mount Elizabeth Hospital, official sources in Delhi said.

She was flown in a highly equipped air ambulance to the Singapore hospital where earlier Southern superstar Rajinikanth was treated besides politicians like Amar Singh.

Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad confirmed the news of her admission and said she is in a stable condition.

"She reached at 5-30 in the morning. She has been admitted. She is stable," said Azad.

The hospital specializes in multi-organ transplant procedures. The hospital in a statement said, however, that the girl was brought there in an extremely critical condition.

B D Athani, the medical superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi where the girl was undergoing treatment after the brutal rape and attack with an iron rod inside a moving bus, said the Singapore hospital has a state-of-art multi-organ transplant facility.

The girl´s parents also accompanied her.

Large parts of the victim´s intestines were removed as a result of the injuries she suffered from the attack.

The victim was moved to the airport on Wednesday from the Delhi hospital in an ambulance and her papers were arranged by the government.

Doctors who have been treating the woman at Safdarjung Hospital did not issue the usual medical bulletin on Wednesday, but have maintained that even she has been responding to the treatment, her condition has remained critical.

As the condition of the woman remained worrying, authorities have been under tremendous pressure from all fronts as the incident sparked protests nationwide.

In their medical bulletin on Tuesday doctors attending the victim said she continued to be critical but is improving and is a shade better than she was a day ago.

The 23-year-old medical student was raped and brutalized with an iron rod on a moving bus and then thrown off the vehicle along with her male companion on December 16, when she was returning home after watching a movie.

More from Sify: