Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said the situation in the violence-hit parts of the state has improved in the past couple of days.
"The situation has improved in the violence-affected areas," Gogoi told reporters on Wednesday.
"There has not been any major incident since July 25. We have also sent back 12,000 people to their homes from relief camps," he said.
"We have fixed August 15 as the date by when we want all displaced persons to return home," Gogoi said.
The Chief Minister said security pickets would be set up in the violence-hit areas.
"Police and security forces have identified 104 sensitive areas in the three districts," Gogoi said.
"We have already set up 19 pickets and efforts are on to set up the remaining pickets," he said.
Assam witnessed ethnic clashes between the tribal Bodos and the Muslims in recent days that claimed 71 lives so far.
More than four lakh people are staying in 278 relief camps set up by the government in the state.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram visited the worst affected Kokrajhar district and relief packages for the victims were announced.