Soccer clash: Nabi out of play for 6 weeks

Last Updated: Mon, Dec 10, 2012 13:56 hrs

India's midfielder and Mohun Bagan's "all-rounder" Syed Rahim Nabi would be out of field for about six weeks with a cheekbone fracture he sustained from a brickbat during violence-marred Sunday derby with East Bengal at Salt Lake Stadium here.

The physicians, who fixed up the player´s cheekbone with a platinum plate, on Monday said the 27-year-old would be out of field for some six weeks.

"He is safe and fine after operation and we would release him in five days´ time," they added.

Nabi, a most utility player and fondly called as all-rounder by his club fans, was hit by a missile from the gallery during an argument with the referee after Odafa Okolie was red-carded for dissent minutes before halftime.

Nabi, who was named in the Asian Best XI after being adjudged the most valuable player in the Nehru Cup last, was stretchered out after being hit by the missile and has been admitted to a private hospital in the Eastern Bypass since Sunday evening.

A wave of violence erupted after Mohun Bagan refused to field the players in the second half citing "unsafe situation," after a stone was hit the midfielder.

The trouble in the field began when the Nigerian, who was seen chasing referee Bishnu Chohan was red-carded for dissent and as the Bagan players were arguing with judgement, missiles rained on the field from a section of gallery at eastern side.

Match Commissioner, appointed by All India Football Federation (AIFF), Gulab Chohan called off the play after waiting some 45 minutes with warning that refusal to play might invite ban from all competitions in the country.

The suspension of match irked many football fans and clashes occurred in which some dozen fans sustained minor wounds.

As estimate said over 100,000 (one lakh) people had come to see the season´s first derby of I-League in the city.

East Bengal were leading 1-0 at the interval. Harmanjot Khabra had headed in Mehtab Hossain´s free-kick in the 42nd minute.

Meanwhile, Mohun Bagan secretary Anjan Mitra blamed East Bengal for fomenting the trouble and said they would move to AIFF and even to FIFA, the world football body.

He also blamed the poor supervision of the referee sparked violence.

Mitra said India has four FIFA qualified referees, then why the AIFF employed one referee, who has no qualification, was to supervise a derby.

Meanwhile, Mohun Bagan´s executive committee on Monday called an emergency meeting to take stock of the situation and decide upon the matter out of the latest situation.

More from Sify: