Techie returns from US to commit suicide

Last Updated: Mon, Sep 03, 2012 09:30 hrs

Hyderabad: A techie based in the United States returned to his home state Andhra Pradesh only to end his life over alleged marital discord, police said Monday.

Immadi Anil Kumar, 30, was found dead in a cab outside the residence of his sister in Kukatpally here Sunday evening.

A native of Guntur district in coastal Andhra, Kumar had landed from San Diego Saturday and checked into a hotel in Kukatpally.

According to police, he hired a cab Sunday to go to his sister's house in Eenadu Colony in the same area. On reaching the destination, the cab driver was shocked to see Kumar lying dead in the vehicle. He alerted Kumar's brother-in-law Suresh.

Police suspect the techie consumed poison after boarding the cab. In a suicide note, purported to have been written by Kumar and recovered from his pocket, he stated that he was ending his life as he was unhappy over marital issues. He also wrote that he flew down from the US as he wanted to die on Indian soil.

Kumar had married Swapna, a native of Kodad in Nalgonda district a year ago. She had returned from the US 10 days ago and was staying with her parents.

The case of suspicious death registered by the Kukatpally police, however, took a new twist Monday with Swapna alleging foul play. She said she suspected that her husband was murdered.

A police officer said they were investigating.

This is the second such incident involving a techie. A 27-year-old woman employee of Infosys had allegedly committed suicide by jumping off a multi-level parking lot at the IT major's campus here July 30.

Only a week before taking the extreme step, Y. Neelima had returned from the US, where she was working on a project. She and her husband, also a software professional, were to leave again for the US Aug 17.

No suicide note was found but police concluded that the techie ended her own life. Her parents initially alleged foul play but later requested the police to end the probe.

More from Sify: