Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday welcomed Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's move to participate in a silent protest march to demand better rights and greater security for women.
He said all sections of society and the political spectrum must engage themselves urgently on this issue.
"Past fortnight have rightly focused attention on an issue which had been on the backburner for a very long time, that is the safety and security of women in public places. And I think it is appropriate that all sections of society and all sections of the political spectrum must engage themselves urgently on this issue," said Tewari.
"If the Chief Minister of Delhi, who is a thrice elected Chief Minister and is a very distinguished lady in her own right, has chosen to go out into the public space in order to keep the attention focused on this particular matter so that a pro-active legislation and a pro-active justice delivery system can be institutionalised. It is something, which should not be taken otherwise," he added.
Dikshit flagged off the 'Mahila Suraksha Samman March' from Bal Bhavan to Rajghat earlier in the day demanding justice for the 23-year-old girl who lost her life after being gang-raped and brutally assaulted. A large number of people participated in the march organised by Delhi Women's Commission.
Dikshit, who has condemned all incidents of violence and sexual assault against women and emphasized on the dire need to ensure their safety and security, led the protesters in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi.
Dikshit, who has locked horns with the Union Home Ministry and the Delhi Police following the rise in crimes against women in the national capital, said earlier last week that society should be united in fighting against such heinous crimes.
Dikshit had earlier said that her government has requested Delhi Police to deploy more PCR vans and to widely publicise police protocols and impart training to police personnel.
In a bid to check crimes against women in the national capital, the Delhi Government on Monday launched a round-the-clock helpline '181' for offering immediate help to women in distress.
Delhi Police, which had earlier invoked murder charges against the six men allegedly involved in the gang-rape, plans to submit a 1000-page chargesheet in the metropolitan magistrate's court in Saket tomorrow. The case will then be moved to the fast-track court to hear it on a day-to-day trial basis.
Amid outpouring of anger and grief in the country, the body of the gang-rape victim was flown to New Delhi from Singapore early on Sunday morning and cremated within hours.
The girl was gang-raped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six men in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 night. (ANI)