Three die of gas poisoning in UP

Last Updated: Fri, Nov 23, 2012 08:30 hrs

Lucknow, Nov 23 (IANS) Three workers died of methane gas poisoning Friday in an Uttar Pradesh sugar mill, police said.

The tragedy struck at the Syohara sugar mill in Bijnor, about 440 km from here, when Jagdish, Pradeep and Lokesh inhaled the poisonous gas leaked from plant boilers, officials here said.

The gas leak was immediately plugged by engineers but it was too late for the three workers.

Panic gripped the town after the accident. Police rushed to the plant to take stock of the situation.

More from Sify: