* Dec 13, 2001: Five terrorists enter the parliament complex and open indiscriminate fire, killing nine people and injuring over 15.
* Dec 15, 2001: Delhi Police pick up Afzal Guru, a member of terrorist outfit Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), from Jammu and Kashmir. S.A.R. Geelani of Delhi University's Zakir Hussain College picked up for questioning and later arrested. Two others - Afsan Guru and her husband Shaukat Hussain Guru - were picked up later.
* Dec 20, 2001: The IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal A.Y. Tipnis, asks station commanders in the country's western sector to maintain "operational preparedness keeping in view the present security environment" while the army gears itself for scheduled training exercises in the first half of January in Rajasthan and Punjab.
* Dec 21, 2001: India recalls its high commissioner for Pakistan following Islamabad's refusal to initiate action against terrorist groups - Lashkar-e-Tayiba and Jaish-e-Muhammed - whom the government blamed for the attack.
* Dec 23, 2001: Three Indian soldiers killed in an ambush by Pakistan Rangers in the Samba sector (in the Jammu region). This sparks off heavy exchange of fire across the International Border in Jammu region.
* Dec 24, 2001: Indian troops destroy nearly 21 Pakistani bunkers along the Line of Control while Pakistan cancels leave for troops and recalls all its military personnel on leave.
* Dec 25, 2001: Under immense international pressure, the Pakistan government arrests JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar.
* Dec 29, 2001: Afzal Guru sent to 10 days' police remand.
* June 4, 2002: Charges are framed against four people - Afzal Guru, Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, Afsan Guru and Geelani.
* Dec 18, 2002: Death sentence awarded to S.A.R. Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru and Afzal Guru, while Afsan Guru is let off.
*Aug 30, 2003: Jaish-e-Muhammad leader Ghazi Baba, prime accused in the attack, is killed in an encounter with the Border Security Force (BSF) in Srinagar. Three more militants along with him are also killed in the 10-hour encounter.
* Oct 29, 2003: Geelani acquitted in the case.
* Aug 4, 2005: The Supreme Court, while confirming the death sentence of Afzal Guru, commutes Shaukat Hussain Guru's death sentence to 10 years' rigourous imprisonment.
* Sep 26, 2006: Delhi court orders Afzal to be hanged.
* Oct 3, 2006: Afzal Guru's wife Tabasum Guru files a mercy petition with then president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
* Jan 12, 2007: The Supreme Court dismisses Afzal Guru's plea seeking review of his death sentence, saying "there is no merit" in it.
* Dec 30, 2010: Shaukat Hussain Guru released from Delhi's Tihar Jail.
*Dec 10, 2012: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde says he would examine Afzal Guru's file after parliament's winter session concludes Dec 22.