Braving the cold for over 10 days, two men continue to sit on a hunger strike in New Delhi, demanding capital punishment for the accused in the gang rape case and swift trial in all cases of sexual assault on women.
The December 16, 2012, attack on the 23-year-old student and a male companion provoked furious protests close to the seat of government in New Delhi and has fuelled a nationwide debate about the prevalence of sexual crime in India.
The woman died on Saturday (December 29) of her injuries in hospital in Singapore, where she had been taken for treatment.
The two protesters, Rajesh Gangwar and Babu Singh, have made base at the Jantar Mantar, near a make-shift memorial of the victim, and are only relying on a liquid diet for over a week.
Speaking to mediapersons on Saturday, Rajesh Gangwar said that the government must take steps to ensure that the verdict in such cases is delivered at the earliest.
"Our demands are that the government should call a special parliament session to pass a law that gives capital punishment to such offenders and to the accused in this case. Also, a time frame should be decided for such cases in which courts will give it's verdict and that time frame should not be more that two and a half months.
"This can only happen when there are an ample number of judges; hence the government should also appoint more judges," said Gangwar.
He also added that there should also be a separate women wing in all police stations so that victims can easily go and file their complaints.
The five are accused of assaulting the woman on a bus in New Delhi, leaving her with such severe injuries that she died two weeks later.
A sixth accused is under 18 and is due to be tried separately in a juvenile court.
It was on Thursday (January 03) that the accused were charged with murder, gang rape and criminal conspiracy. (ANI)